Problems with Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieS

Solid State Member
Ok i'm having a big problem with my second computer.

I moved it to another room yesterday and since then i've been unable to get it to work. The original problem was that when i switched it on it acted normarly till the login screen, which didnt appear, all i could see was a black screen and a mouse cursor. At this point i only had the essentials plugged in : Power Cable, Monitor, Speakers, Mouse and Keyboard.

After failing to work a few times, i started the computer in safe mode with the same results.

I decided to repair the installation using the windows disc, this had the same problem.

Then i formated my original 200GB drive and reinstalled windows, this time after finishing copying setup files, it re-booted and got to the installation screen, which again didnt come up, this time all i could see is a blue screen (windows colour, not BSOD colour) and a mouse cursor.

By now i was really annoyed so i wipped out the 200GB drive, and put in a old 40GB drive, which was empty, and installed windows. I got the same result; light blue screen with mouse cursor.

Now i decided to disconnect anything inside the case which wasnt vital, including spare DVD drive, modem and floppy drive, i also switched the memory banks of the RAM.

Guess what? Same result... :(

Now i'm at my wits end, this was a computer that was working perfectly a week ago, now it refuses to get anyware near windows after loading (usal screen with loading bar going back and forth)

The specs of the computer are:

Inter Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533Mhz FSB (Socket 478)
Some HP motherboard (not sure which one)
512Mb PC2100 RAM (Single Stick)
40GB 5200rpm Western Digital Drive (Original one was 200GB WD 7200rpm)
LG DVD-RW
Ati Radeon 9000 64mb
Windows XP Pro (No service packs, but this computer is not connected to the internet)

I think its maybe a software problem, because it copy's files ok, and loads upto a certain point.

But thanks for the suggestion, i'll try a new RAM stick

there was a guy who was in the exact situation as you on this forum.

it was faulty ram.

EricB said:
Thats a good guess but I don't think so when my old 95 had corrupted RAM it would not even got to the boot screen. He makes it past the boot screen but not to login.

i took a piece of 512Mb PC3200 outta my gaming rig, and put it in,

guess what?

same problem... :(

we need to look at mobo and video card, psu in this order.

have you tried settting the bios to the fail safe defaults?

I've cracked it.

The problem seems to be with the old Graphics Card, when i put my 9600XT outta my games rig it seemed to work ok, no blue screen and cursor.

Thanks for ur suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom