Problems shrinking a HDD with Windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means exactly that. I dont know how else to say it but they are stored at the back part of the system partition. When you look at the Disk Defragmentation screen you will see Windows files are located at the back of the drive that cant be moved. They are placed there so that the files will not be messed with ever. There is no such thing as a hierarchical system when it comes to PC's. That is not how a Hard Drive works.

Thanks KSoD, you said something that got me into a track. "That is not how a Hard Drive works". I am doing some reading to get a better picture on how the information is stored. But I am getting to understand what you said about files being in my free space.
My OS is telling me that the amount of Shrinking space could be reduced because some pagefiles and snapshots are enabled. I have done some research and apparently, the shadow copy storage area (whatever that is) needs to be deleted and the PageFile should be moved.
I am going to do a bit more reading into this to see if at least, I can identify the problem before I get into the Gparted.

Many thanks for your help.

I have now tried with several third party applications but still cannot shrink the primary partition.
Apparently the programs are still unable to move the data. Sorry but I do not get any other error messages. !!

Someone has noticed that the look of my computer management console is like Windows XP instead of Windows vista (OS installed), apparently it might have happened that person installing Windows Vista did it using Windows XP configurations...

Not sure if I understand that, but could that be related?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Well if it is from Shadow Copies and the pagefile, just turn off those features for now till you finish the resize. Turn them back on afterwards. No harm in doing that.

Sorry but there is no way you can install Vista using XP Config. The core of Windows Vista is ages beyond that of XP and no way you could intertwine the 2 like that. It would cause such system instability that you wouldnt even be able to operate the system. So either it is XP that is hacked up to mimic Vista, or it is Vista that is hacked up to look like XP.

Do these 2 things. First open Command prompt. Type in sfc /scannow and let it go. After that go Start>Run>winver and take a screen shot and post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom