Problems shrinking a HDD with Windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medianoche

Baseband Member
Hi, My HDD is acting as if I do not have any free space when I have 144GB of free space.

I try to do a partition but it does not allow me to shrink. I have Windows vista.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

Re: Forgot password to access wellcome window

The password is not hardware related. It is in Windows OS itself. I do not imagine there is any legal way to do so.

Re: Forgot password to access wellcome window

Thanks,

Since it is just a user, could I not access somehow as an administrator, maybe from the bios??

Just started a course and have a bit of a confussion with so much information, I know..
Thanks for your time.

I deleted one of your threads since it was a double post. I merged your other two threads together. Please list all your current problems in one thread as one problem may be causing the other problem.

Ok thanks,
I did posted one thread twice because I did not realised it needed aproval. Sorry! Thanks for your help
Problems are for different machines, so could not be related. Could you please split them back in two...??
Thanks
Any ideas about this shrinking problem???

Sorry, I didn't know they were different machines. Just repost it. You should supply a little more info, it's a laptop but who made it and what model is it.

Ok, got it, thanks for advice.
Shrinking problem is on a desktop Acer Aspire M1610. OS Windows Vista Home Basic

Most likely the problem is that some system files are located at the back of the OS partition, or the end of the 144GB of free space that is preventing you from shrinking the hard drive. I would suggest getting GParted and doing it with that.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

I have created that to assist people in understanding how to due this with GParted.

Hi KSoD, Thanks for the tutorial, I am downloading it and will let you know.
What exactly does it mean that the System files are at the back of the free space?
Is it not supposed to be a hierarchical system?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom