Problems Reinstalling XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockeyman2

Baseband Member
I want to reinstall XP on my system. My friend has a newer Windows XP disk with SP2 on it. Rather than use my old disk and have to take the time to download Sp2 I thought I would just borrow his disk and use it. When I go to install it says my CD key is invalid (one on the back of my PC) So I used a program called Everest Home Edition to check the key and it found a totally different key! Do the old keys use a different algorithim (I think thats the right word) than the new disks or is there somthing else I don't understand, and why would the key on the back of my PC be different than the one on it?

I appreciate any suggestions!

Different builds have different keys, each OS has it's own key, but many other keys will work. Try and use the key that Everest found. Is it Home or Pro? If it's Home Edition, then the key on his pc has been used more than 3 times.

Even if any other key works during installation, you may face activation issue.

Its best to install XP from your own CD (old disk) + Key and then download SP2.

Warez Monster said:
Different builds have different keys, each OS has it's own key, but many other keys will work. Try and use the key that Everest found. Is it Home or Pro? If it's Home Edition, then the key on his pc has been used more than 3 times.

I tried both the key on the back and the one Everest found. Its home, same as I have on my PC, and same as my disk accept has Sp2 included. So if he has used the disk three times it won't work? or what are you meaning?

Even if any other key works during installation, you may face activation issue.

Why would I have activation issues if I am using my own key?

Thanks for the replies!

:)

just go with your own XP home. you can get sp2 from windowsupdate.com. ur cdkey wont work because the windows cd can tell that u are putting in the incorrect cdkey for that particular cd.

You might try to boot up with the sp2 cd and do a repair install. I had to do a repair install a few months ago and xp didnt ask for a key or activation.You have to set your cd drive as first boot device in your bios so that windows doesnt load. Dont use the repair console option ,just click on install and new menus are available.

Booyah said:
just go with your own XP home. you can get sp2 from windowsupdate.com. ur cdkey wont work because the windows cd can tell that u are putting in the incorrect cdkey for that particular cd.

Thats what I figured was happening.

You might try to boot up with the sp2 cd and do a repair install. I had to do a repair install a few months ago and xp didnt ask for a key or activation.You have to set your cd drive as first boot device in your bios so that windows doesnt load. Dont use the repair console option ,just click on install and new menus are available.

Alright....Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that now!

Thanks again for the replies! Big help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom