Problems playing sounds off Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malachias

Beta member
I have a strange problem. First, I have to explain that I am a relative computer idiot, so bear with me.

Using Windows2000, had no problems, got that VILE ABI adware disease. To eliminate that, I ran the usual (AdAware, Bazooka, CWShredder, Hijack This, SuperAdBlocker -- I did it all).

The problem persisted, so I did what any dummy would do and went into Explorer and into System32, arranged files by date, and got rid of things that looked suspicious (quit yer laffin'!)

OK, that worked. ABI has been vanquished! But since then, I am unable to click on a link to an MP3 file or a .wav file and get it to play. I haven't noticed any other types of files that are troublesome (I checked to see if midi files would work, and they do. I am also able to STREAM files. I started to download a program file to see if there was something wrong with my Magical Windows Downloader Do-Thingy, but that was fine, too. No troubles browsing, everything kopasetic except for the aforementioned issues). (And I am completely able to play these sorts of files from my hard drive).

What happens when I click on a link to an MP3 or wav file is that a browser window opens (the links are set to "_blank") and the teeny-tiniest version of what looks like the "broken image link" appears in the upper left. And that's it.

Any ideas on this? Did I delete something important from System32? And if I did, how do I get it back again?

Thanks for any help!

(BTW, despite my screen name, I'm a girl, so can say things like "do-thingy" and "teeny tiny" LOL)

1. You should have used Spysweeper
2. You should not use a unsupported discontinued OS
3. If Win2k has a restore feature on it's CD us it, this will fix your problem

Sounds like a browser problem. What do you use?

You can go to Start>Run & type sfc /scannow to check your Windows system files and make sure you didnt delete anything too important.

Tyler1989: Whats wrong with Windows 2000? Just because something isnt officially supported by Microsoft, dont mean shit. Maybe some people dont want to spend two or three hundred dollars everytime Microsoft adds some new pretty colors to thier OS.

BTW..."Mr Computer" should know that Windows2000 cd does have a repair fuction.

OK, now my stupidity will be even more fully revealed. Prepare to hate.

I followed your guys's advice, did the sfc /scannow maneuver, and hoped for the best. The scannow operation seemed to go well -- i.e., it went quickly, I wasn't asked to do anything, etc. It seemed that everything was already in place.

Then I remembered that I'd played with my security settings, having taken the advice to not allow "Active X" (whatever that is) to do things to me from the Internet unless it's from a "trusted site." I'm paranoid, so disabled the lot. Besides, I am THAT sick of those adware/spyware bastards -- so much so that I am prepared to shoot on sight.

But I had to know, so I re-allowed the mysterious "Active X" stuff. Well, now everything works.

So I guess the lesson is this: at least when using IE, one has to either risk getting ITDs (Internetally Transmitted Diseases like the ones those ABI sonsof*****es spread around) or one has to be prepared to surf in silence.

SIGH.

At any rate, I THANK you both very much for the help and am sorry to have wasted anyone's time. It was nice to learn about that scannow function!

IAM you need not attack every post I make. "Mr. Computer" would not dare touch such a vile CD. And it is ignorant to suggest XP costs 300 USD. Not only does XP give you "pretty colors" it ensure that the remote desktop error got fixed something 2000 still has an error on and any other minor or magor security patch. You don't get it do you. XP is based on 2k true but XP is the only one protected with patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom