Problems loading windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitschej

Baseband Member
I have a computer that I am working on that has windows xp home edition on it. They want me to remove windows xp and install windows 98SE. I have formatted the HDD and started to install windows 98 but when it trys to detect and install the drivers it comes up with the blue screen of death. I just get either of these two errors. a fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0008:0000B91A or a fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:FF02847B. I am trying to install this on an HP pavilion ze4125 laptop computer. I know that it is a hardware issue that is causing this problem but I cannot find out what it is and how do I get past it to finish loading windows 98.

A couple of possible problems. One like you said, could be hardware. HP has alot of conflicts when trying to install other OS's that didnt come with the machine. The one i would tell you is that if your home eddition formatted the drive using NTFS you will have to get that off of there. 98 is a FAT system. There is a way to convert it back but it has been so long since ive done it i dont remember.

I already changed the hdd format from ntfs to fat32. It loads up to the point where it detects the plug and play hardware and it comes up with the above mentioned errors.

Who has suggested that you move back to 98SE?
This notebook supports 98SE and up.
What exact steps did you take to format the drive?

-Mike

No One suggested it. It is just something I want to do. I am not a fan of Windows XP, but I like the laptop.

I used Copy Commander to remove the NTFS file system, formatted. Then formatted again with Windows 98SE CD. Then when this all failed I went into fdisk to check the partition. Then formatted with 98SE Bootdisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom