problems with internet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

crow0021

In Runtime
i have dsl with windows xp. i have xp firewall and norton av auto-protect on.. i also have a 4 port router. my problem is with the internet. internet explorer is very slow now sometimes, sometimes i have to click a link or something 2-3 for it to take. sometimes it takes forever for some simple web page to load. i also have been having probs with yahoo messenger. downloading is also very slow at about 50kb/s but i checked with internet connection tests and it seems to be normal speed for dsl. i have run norton virus check and spybot. all good. this internet performance really sucks now. i haven't changed anything, it ran great a couple of weeks ago, any ideas??

go to your isp's website and search the site for any recent issue's that they're having. i know my isp (road runner) is having major issues in my area... the problem with mine is that i have to press refresh alot for some random pages to show.

Could also be that your AV is scanning all the packets going threw it. Or maybe your firewall is running an IDS of some sort or maybe its routing the packets wrong. If you have a 4 port router infrunt of your computer whats the point of running a firewall? seems like over kill if your worryd about safty. Try turning those off to see if helps. If you need help post again, dont just try firefox because you might just be running from a bigger problem. Try to fix it first.

the router should have a good firewall? it is a d-link. if it does, i should turn off windows firewall and turn off norton auto-protect??

I don't think there is a firewall installed in your router. It should allow you to mess around with ports and stuff but has no firewall.

Get on to your ISP's support phone line and get them to run tests on your connection to see if it works ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom