Problems installing Windows after Linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex4R

In Runtime
I recently installed Ubuntu Linux, and after a lot of work I still couldn't get it to connect and found out that I have a winmodem. Now I want to go ahead and reinstall Windows so I can get things done on the Internet, and throw together a system out of my old parts to play around with Linux on.

I put in the Windows XP Pro cd, and restarted. It booted from the CD fine, and I deleted the partition, and created a new partition. I formatted it using NTFS (quick and full), and it copied the files successfully. When it restarts, it says "Error loading operating system." I thought maybe it left something from grub or linux behind, so I went into the repair console and used fixboot, fixmbr, bootcfg, and about everything else I could, no luck.

My computer guy seems to think it has something to do with timing, because he said that he had the exact same problem with his sempron pc, and he put another processor in and installed windows, and then put the old sempron back in and it worked fine. I don't have any AMD processors just lying around, so thats out of the question. But he says that he will do it for me for $20. I want to get every opinion before I pay to have it fixed, because I would rather just do it myself and make it a learning experience.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.... :cool:

Also, I forgot to mention that Linux will reinstall flawlessly. I have also tried installing XP Home, and Windows 98 without luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom