Problems with IE n XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Problems with IE n XP

I am experiencing a few problems with my XP and IE.Let me list them down,

Problem #1
Whenever i run any MS-DOS based application on XP.I get the following error,

Then the application does not start.I have experienced this error once or twice before.The first time i reinstalled XP and it worked.But the second time even reinstallation didnt work.

Problem #2
After working on my XP for sometime if i leave it inactive my IE doe not load any pages.After typing the url in the address bar and pressing Go IE does absolutely nothing.During this time, other applications also do not respond. For example,Outlook Express Hangs up when i open attachements,Media Player hangs up when i try to open a file.

Also when i open forums i get this error

I have scanned my computer with updated Norton Antivirus 2005 but there r no viruses. I also reinstalled IE.Please help me solve the matter

Old 05-12-2005, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I think the DOS probem is cos windows wont run 16bit verson of DOS. What is it your trying to run in DOS?
read this:

2nd: Try this
This error can be disabled:

Within Internet Explorer select ‘Tools’, ‘Internet Options’.
Select the ‘Advanced’ tab.
Tick the option ‘Disable script debugging’ (under ‘Browsing’).
For the setting change to take effect close down all Internet Explorer windows and restart.

I\'m not your Google Butler!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thx for the reply
I am actually trying to run a program by Sierra which helps in making Greeting cards and also Turbo C. Both these programs actually run fine most of the times except for when this error crops up.

Infact i reinstalled XP yesterday and the programs worked fine but today again its giving the same error.

As for Problem #2, disabling script debugging does stop the error box from popping up but it does not stop the script error from taking place. I can see an error symbol at the bottom left of my Status bar.But disabling the script debugging does solve the irritating part
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

there's a clean copy of the autoexec in c:\windows\repair. copy it to c:\windows\system32. relaunch the program.

run spyware & virus scans.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

CS again you beat me to it. but this problem.. if he has already re installed that means that the autoexe on the disk is messed up right? or other wise it would atleast stay good a while longer.. am i completely wrong? if so i apologize
I'm Forgetful! so if i stop posting on something that i was helping you with... PM me or IM me
yahoo and aol: blitze105
you can always IM or PM me if i offend you as well, i will edit the post if i have.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks a lot CS and Blitze.I copied the file and it works fine now.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

But can u tell me why i keep getting the script errors on IE.I did disable it but that doesnt stop from the error happening right?It just stops displaying the popup.After the page loads it says "Done,but with errors" at the bottom left of the statusbar

Closed Thread