Problems converting FAT32 to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwright

Solid State Member
Hello all.

I recently bought an (expensive!) music program. I can't install it because it requires an eight gigabyte file to be copied from the DVD, and my drive is FAT32. Windows immediately gives an error message, saying there's insufficient space (there's plenty of space). So my first question is:

1. Is there a way to allow a FAT32 drive to copy an eight gigabyte file?

I then tried to use Convert to convert to NTSF. It turns out that if it finds a faulty file it simply gives up and stops after, say, twenty minutes of converting. Worse, it only displays the error mesaage for a few seconds, so it's almost imposssible to know what the problem is. I think it did find a bad file and printed its name, but it was gone too fast and I'd need to run it for another twenty or thirty minutes to glimpse the error message again. Chances are, I'll miss it.

The error message also said insufficient memory, although it has 512 MB. It was probably a misleading error message, something not uncommon with Windows! Maybe that message was triggered by the bad file.

So my other questions are:

2. Is there an option to suppress this bad file error, so Convert would carry on regardless?

3. Is it possible to make Convert stop after printing the error message so that it can be read before okaying it?

4. Does it create a log file or can it be instructed to do so?

My OS is Windows XP Home, 512 MB RAM.

I hope you can help me. Many thanks.

Best regards,
Chris

Try a system repair, which will keep all of your settings and files in one piece, then try the conversion. I would back all data up just in case

pinkfloyd,
I've run Checkdisk and it does fix some files. I'm not familiar with system repair and the Windows help wasn't very helpful.

What I really need is a means of seeing what the Convert error actually was, then I could probably fix the problem.

Best regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom