Problems After Using FIXBOOT ! NTLDR is Missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBoon

Solid State Member
Hey all

I have a problem with a laptop that was not booting and came up with Unmountable_boot_volume on a blue screen.

so Microsoft recommended i ran chkdsk /r Preformed that and did not help. So it also said use FIXBOOT so ran this from the recovery console. But i ran it just with fixboot typed and later i found that you had to type fixboot c:

After i had ran fixboot on its own the drive would not even attempt to load windows and came up with an error "NTLDR is Missing" and the partition now showed no windows directories and was now only 10MB in size. Instead of 48GB.

So it seems that my partitions are screwed up is there any way I can reverse this to get the file structure back so I can at least add the drive as a slave and get the data off? not worried about the drive having to boot up again as long as I can get all the files off.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Sean

i am currently running getdataback to see if i can retreave the data but it is taking for ever to scan the drive like 11 hours to go. But if i can find a way to ge the old partition back that would be ideal.

Sean

Do this first:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
2. At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert:
convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs
For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
convert e: /fs:ntfs
Note If the operating system is on the drive that you are converting, you will be prompted to schedule the task when you restart the computer because the conversion cannot be completed while the operating system is running. When you are prompted, click YES.
3. When you receive the following message at the command prompt, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
The type of the file system is FAT.
Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter
4. When the conversion to NTFS is complete, you receive the following error message at the command prompt:
Conversion complete
5. Quit the command prompt.

Then run a XP Repair

hey mate thanks for the help, the drive is currently in another computer as a slave on a win2k pc because it doesnt boot. Would i need set it up on a xp computer as a slave to do this?

Also if i convert to NTFS wont that overwrite the partition that i lost? When the Acer laptop was working properly it had 2 partitions on it one for the OS and one for Acer backup. now when i view the drive on my computer it shows Local disk E: (the C: drive on the laptop) and has a capacity of 10mb and close to 3mb used and i guess this is where FIXBOOT created the new boot sector and lost the proper boot sector when i didnÂ’t specify a drive letter to FIXBOOT.

Just a bit worryed that it will just convert that 10mb drive to NTFS and not find the lost partition and loose some of the data?

sean

The thing is i dont think windows repair will find any thing to repair... this is what happened when i ran FIXBOOT.

Quote: Using the fixboot command without any parameters will write a new partition boot sector to the system partition you are logged on to.

1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer

is that what you did?

yeah thats what i did at the start to try fix the Unmountable_boot_volume but this did not work so tryed FIXBOOT in the same recovery console, but did not know that you had to have a drive letter after this command if you dont it writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition you are logged on to. doing this seems to have lost the orginal windows partiton and created a new one...

sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom