Problem with Windows Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagged Age

Solid State Member
Whenever I right click on a file that seems to be closely related to windows media player my screen flashes, it seems as if it shuts off and then turns on. It takes about 2 seconds everytime I do it, so When I have to rename a whole lotta files like .avi's, it kinda gets on my nerves. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before, or if they know the solution.
Thanks A lot

I'm Runnig an Amd 64 3000+
1 Gig of Ram
256mb Video Card 128 bit
160 Gig Serial HDD

Jagged Age said:
Whenever I right click on a file that seems to be closely related to windows media player my screen flashes, it seems as if it shuts off and then turns on. It takes about 2 seconds everytime I do it, so When I have to rename a whole lotta files like .avi's, it kinda gets on my nerves. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before, or if they know the solution.
Thanks A lot

I'm Runnig an Amd 64 3000+
1 Gig of Ram
256mb Video Card 128 bit
160 Gig Serial HDD

Media player isn't any good, they messed it all up for people anymore because of P2P, I would either use media player classic or another player.

Also make sure you have all the codec's you need to view video and audio files. You can download the K-like Codec package to see if this helps.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/KLite_Codec_Pack_Full/1094057842/3

Here is Media player classic which will help you very much:
http://www.free-codecs.com/Media_Player_Classic_download.htm

Jay

Attachments

• swirl.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 48
I'll look into that, but I'm not sure if it is actually a windows media player problem, because it happens before windows media player is even open

Thanks Again

Jagged Age said:
I'll look into that, but I'm not sure if it is actually a windows media player problem, because it happens before windows media player is even open

Thanks Again

Only when clicking on media files, have you check your connections from the monitor and computer, maybe your video card is going bad. try the above still though.

Also try www.windowsupate.com to update the display adapters if you havn't or change your resolutions of your screen, you can do this by right clicking any on the desktop and click on properties and then the tab settings. See if this helps.

I've tried just about everything, with drivers and with display settings already, and the video shouldn't be going It's brand new and nothing has happen to it to screw it up. And the only time the screen flashes/ turns off and on again. Is when I right click an avi or mpg it's sorta ridiculous.
Thanks again though

Jagged Age said:
I've tried just about everything, with drivers and with display settings already, and the video shouldn't be going It's brand new and nothing has happen to it to screw it up. And the only time the screen flashes/ turns off and on again. Is when I right click an avi or mpg it's sorta ridiculous.
Thanks again though

Then it could be the file or virus maybe.

Open the program G spot which I'll provide and open the .avi file and see if it finds a problem. Other then it not being your monitor and not a codec problem.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

Download www.winamp.com and or www.quicktime.com to see if these players will help. It don't make sense.

Check for virus also that might be loading it's self doing this, If you did already please use this one:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp

Also clean all your cashe files, right click on the internet explorer and then properties and this delete cookies history and internet files. It will take a bit but do this as well.

Maybe also a good scan disk and disk defragment as well. Let me know if you find out.

GL

Jay

I'll try more off this tonight, but just to clear things up, I don't think it would be a virus or anything because the computer itself isn't hooked up to the internet. And it isn't just one avi, its every single one of them. I've tested just about every display setting, and different refresh rates, I've got it up to 100 from 75, and screen resolution is 1024 x 768.
I think the problem might actually have to be with my type of display drivers if you will. Because it is a high performance video card, it comes with it's on type of properties. They are the nview, or nvidea properties. When I right click the nvidea icon from the bottom right hand corner the screen flashes as well. Maybe that will strike some ideas.
Thanks Again

Which Nvidia driver are you using? Go to: www.nvidia.com and download the lastest drivers for your (6800gt or 7800gtx?...what card do you have? if you have not already done so. You may try unistalling the nvidia drivers, cleaning your registry and re-install your video drivers. It's hard to believe that it would be hardware acceleration issues for your video card given the fact that you have a very fast cpu and losts of RAM.

I have the E-GeForce 6200 Pci-Express Card, and I tried going to the nvidea site and downloaded the newest driver but the problem still persists. I didn't try uninstalling the drivers before I upgraded them, I guess I could try that still.
Any other ideas that you come across would be much appreciated
Thanks again

Does winamp work. I know this is a work around but windows media player is horriably buggy and nullsoft makes a much better player :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom