Problem with Windows 8.1 keyboard language layout

Wrex

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I'm using English Windows 8.1 on a Japanese computer (Macbook Pro Retina) through Boot Camp, and for some reason I can't seem to change the keyboard layout from Japanese to English.

Things to note before replying:
- This is a Windows setting and has nothing do with Mac software or Boot Camp. It is merely a setting to switch the keyboard layout in Windows 8.1.
- I did the same before on Windows 10 Tech Preview, and that worked, but for some reason it doesn't with Windows 8.1.
- This isn't language output related, just language layout related.

My Mac is Japanese so the symbols are mixed up. The keyboard is Japanese but the output is in English. This is really frustrating because obviously, I'm used to another layout when typing.

What I have tried:
- Adding Japanese language to my keyboard, set it as default, deleted English language on my keyboard. This doesn't not affect the problem, because this merely just adds another language (Japanese IME) to switch between. I need English to be English, but with the symbols switched.

What worked before:
- I ran Windows 10 Tech Preview through Boot Camp a few months ago. I had the same issue but fixed it by going into the registry and change LayerDriver JPN from kbd106.dll to kbd101.dll and OverrideKeyboardIdentifier from PCAT_106KEY to PCAT_101KEY.

But for some reason, that registry modification doesn't work with Windows 8.1.
When searching articles and posts around the internet, this is the way I need to do it to change it. Even when searching in Japanese (to find others with the same problem), I figured out that's what worked for others.

1) What could be the reason Windows 8.1 refuses to listen to my registry modifications?
2) Are there any ways to CHANGE keyboard layout (not add another language)?

Example: When hitting shift+2:
I should get "
But I get @

(And most other symbols are also switched around)

Things I don't want to do:
I don't wanna use a third party software and manually remap my keys.
The change worked before in the settings, so there has got to be a native way of fixing this.

For reference, This is what my keyboard looks like:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/dotclue.org/kybard.jpg
And the normal English version:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/L8qAt.gif

Soo... I get different symbols when writing. It makes things very hard. :(

Any reply, suggestion and assistance is highly appreciated!
Thank you.

Last edited:
Edit: It's actually fixed now!

I did the registry editing (as mentioned in the first post) a couple of more times including some reboots. No idea why it didn't work earlier and then suddenly decided to work. Just happy I got it sorted out!

Just wanted to leave that reply here (in case this ever shows up on Google search for other people), and not be that butthole who came back only to say "nvm, fixed it".

Back
Top Bottom