Problem starting WinXp from standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoa

Baseband Member
When I logoff I usually keep my system in standby. When I am ready to turn the machine back on, I usually (and this may be wrond) touch any key on the keyboard or the mouse and 1 of 2 things will happen..either the machine will start up again no problem or it will make this buzzing sound like I've done something wrong and then I have to manually power the machine off and turn it back on..what is the problem with me leaving the machine in standby mode?

Well seeing as you havent provided much insight into the Hardware aspects of your machine,, I will try and work in virtual terms...

The problem with Standby is that XP takes a "snapshot" of everything that you had going,, and saves this snapshot in RAM and HD memory.

When you come back and hit a key,, any key,, pick a key,,, you start up the wake process, if your machine is lower end in HD space, RAM, or processor power,, Standby will give you a headache.

My suggestion would be to either a) lock the PC using CTL-ALT-DEL , this will maintain your pc in the present state
or,
Logoff completely.

I have a feeling that there is a patch for Standby, however, I personally disable that feature on the bulk of XP machines due to the problems as you have stated,,

cheers,

cocoa said:
what is the problem with me leaving the machine in standby mode?

Cocoa, Stand-by and Hibernation modes are designed to be used only on Laptop computers - NOT desktop.

cocoa said:
Lone Wolf, I didn't know that...hmmm, ok, guess I will do ctrl + alt + delete

The reason for that is that those power management features are designed to cut down on the batter power consumption. Since desktops don't have a battery, it does not apply to a desktop.

For my PC at home, I like to use the power management feature to have everything fully on except for the monitor (which is set to go off after 30 mins of inactivity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom