Problem with RIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbduballstrs

Baseband Member
I've installed RIS on a server before that was also configured as the DHCP server but never on a server that isn't the DHCP server. I installed it on the server not configured as the DHCP server and the clients don't seem to be picking it up when booting to the NIC. So far RIS is installed, I created an XP image, I've verified it and I checked the box for it to respond to clients. It's not on the client side because I hooked up the PC to the server I was using before and it works fine. Is there anything else I have to do? Thanks.

I've always had the same problem, could never get a RIS server to work that wasn't also acting as a DHCP server. sorry but you may have to config it as DHCP.

This is weird. I have a test network that is set up outside our domain network and I configured RIS on a server other than the DHCP server and it works fine. For some reason when I set it up the exact same way on one of our domaim member servers it still can't find a boot file name. Hmmmm....

Has your RIS server been authorized in AD? That is the most common mistake I see when building a RIS env..this is why the clients cant obtain an IP address since it isnt authorized to hand out IP's.

how odd, i have RIS running and my DHCP server is a Linux box, not even windows!

but as has been said above, create a DHCP server on the RIS server, probably easyer.

i have an extremely small environment with AD

my domain controller is EVERYTHING but web server...

AD, DHCP, DNS, RIS, FS

and that works ok?

RIS is a strang thing, sometimes it just does not work! :O

you need an AD to use RIS (i think.... you may not with the new services packs)

yes, my config works fine, and yes with RIS, you need AD, with ADS you do not, however I found that weird to configure. and as stated before make sure DHCP is authorized to your domain.

How much stress does RIS put on a server? We have a pretty complex network w/20+ servers and our DHCP server is one of the older ones. If RIS doesn't use up too many resources then I could just install it on our DHCP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom