Problem Restarting With Windows 8.1

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Hi,
It's been a while since I've posted here so I hope everyone is doing well!

During a plane flight, my computer's internals seemed to have been messed around with as a lot of internal parts got messed up.

Part of the symptoms is that my computer wouldn't turn on because the power switch was not hooked up to the motherboard. I looked up my motherboards X58 manual online and managed to get the computer turning on.

Upon installing Windows 8.1 I had noticed that whenever my computer restarts it doesn't fulfill it. I'm like, okay -- as long as I shut it down and then turn it back on it's pretty much the same thing.

Now I'm fairly annoyed that I need to shut down my computer by manually pressing the power switch and then manually turning it on.

The software side of the computer doesn't restart by itself. The restart function on the computer operating system side of things works, and then it shuts down. Then turns back on. The screen is black. Does not go to the Bios.

Need help!

You need to go into the Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings.

There turn off the option for Fast Boot. This will force Win8 and Win8.1 to reboot like previous versions of Windows. It will increase your boot time, but it should help fix this issue you are having.

Hello,
I'd like to resurface this problem! I've followed your advice as well as outlined here:
Fix Windows 8 and Later Restart and Shutdown Problems by Disabling “Hybrid Shutdown” Feature - AskVG

And I'm still experiencing the same problem. I think it may have to do with something on the hardware side. Not that anything is broken but perhaps I misplugged a cord.

The Facts
- I'm able to shut down fine.
- I'm able to turn on the computer from having no power to power on. Let's call this "STATE #0". At the first try, the computer turns black. Nothing turns on. Just the lights. Not even hardware/bios. I have to manually power of the computer by pressing the power button switch and then turning back on. The second attempt to power on usually works fine. Alternatively, I can also press the restart button on my computer. And it works fine. Bios, beep, and everything works. Boots into Windows 8.1 software. All good.
- When the computer is on already, I'm able to shut it down. I'm also able to restart. The computer goes from power, to off power, then on power. But I'm back to the above "STATE #0". But this time I can't even press the restart button. I can only press the power button. I have to manually power off then power on the computer.

This is very tedious work because my computer never achieves a "clean restart". At the same time, every time my computer goes from power off to power on, it resumes from a message of "interrupted shut down procedure" or somewhere along the context, so it doesn't have a clean power on already.

I'm unable to successfully restart my computer. Or to start my computer from power off to power on.

Please let me know if this problem rings a bell.

And for some reason when you're computer is not properly restarted and shut down, the performance doesn't seem to be at 100%. Let me know how to fix this too.

Last edited:
tryed testing your ram? i have an issue kinda the same where the computer would not start correctly turned out to be one of the ram sticks

Hi,
Part of the symptoms is that my computer wouldn't turn on because the power switch was not hooked up to the motherboard. I looked up my motherboards X58 manual online and managed to get the computer turning on.

Upon installing Windows 8.1 I had noticed that whenever my computer restarts it doesn't fulfill it. I'm like, okay -- as long as I shut it down and then turn it back on it's pretty much the same thing.

Now I'm fairly annoyed that I need to shut down my computer by manually pressing the power switch and then manually turning it on.

The software side of the computer doesn't restart by itself. The restart function on the computer operating system side of things works, and then it shuts down. Then turns back on. The screen is black. Does not go to the Bios.

Can you take a look at this link and try what MS suggests ?
WIndows 8 Hangs on restart - Microsoft Community

Also explain to me this, when you say you managed to get your computer back on what exactly did you do ?
I know its been a long time but if you can remember some of what you did.
We might be able to determine if its a hardware or OS problem.

The only way a desktop or laptop would have issues like yours is if you had misplaced the wrong wire on the mobo for starting it up.
Otherwise it is a windows registry problem.

IMG_6827.jpg

Nothing turns on. Just the lights. Not even hardware/bios.
If he can't access the bios screen, then it's probably not an issue with windows. Get your power supply checked at a local shop or purchase a power supply tester that will show the PG (power good) time in milliseconds. If the power supply does not provide enough power from the PG to signal the mother board, the mb will shut down the power supply. On a second or even a third attempt, the PG signal may be met and the mother board allows the pc to boot up. If the PG signal from the power supply is good, then your having a problem with the motherboard...check the capacitors
These used to be cheap at one time....
Rexus PST-3 Digital Power Supply Tester with LCD - Newegg.com

For your reading pleasure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_good_signal

Last edited:
If he can't access the bios screen, then it's probably not an issue with windows. Get your power supply checked at a local shop or purchase a power supply tester that will show the PG (power good) time in milliseconds. If the power supply does not provide enough power from the PG to signal the mother board, the mb will shut down the power supply. On a second or even a third attempt, the PG signal may be met and the mother board allows the pc to boot up. If the PG signal from the power supply is good, then your having a problem with the motherboard...check the capacitors

Power good signal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He can access the bios fine, also he needs hot wire it just to get it to boot. ;)
His issue might be a misplaced wire or the power button may have gotten damage.
I do agree with you its not a windows issue after looking at the problem a few times.
if it were it would have a few quick bsod's and automatic reboot after crashing.
Then he could check event viewer to see what the real problem is.

He can access the bios fine, also he needs hot wire it just to get it to boot. ;)
His issue might be a misplaced wire or the power button may have gotten damage.
I do agree with you its not a windows issue after looking at the problem a few times.
if it were it would have a few quick bsod's and automatic reboot after crashing.
Then he could check event viewer to see what the real problem is.

Should I take a photo inside of my mobo? And compare it to the link of the ASRock x58 and see if I DID misplace any wires?

Power good signal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you take a look at this link and try what MS suggests ?
WIndows 8 Hangs on restart - Microsoft Community

Also explain to me this, when you say you managed to get your computer back on what exactly did you do ?
I know its been a long time but if you can remember some of what you did.
We might be able to determine if its a hardware or OS problem.

The only way a desktop or laptop would have issues like yours is if you had misplaced the wrong wire on the mobo for starting it up.
Otherwise it is a windows registry problem.

IMG_6827.jpg

Dear Rockman,
Thank you for the wonderful insights and link! I've looked at the link and followed the answer advice. Will update you on the result.

To answer your question about what I did to get the computer back on. I simply have to press the power button twice. The first time it doesn't boot (not even on BIOS). The second time it works, I manually turn it off by pressing and holding the power button and turning it back on.

How it happened -- It started a few years ago after moving my computer on a check-in bag on an airplane. My harddrive and some of my ram got damaged but motherboard and cpu and everything seems fine. It was a mistake of mine to assume the case would protect the parts but the alternative was paying hundreds of dollars to ship it which at that time I didn't have.

tryed testing your ram? i have an issue kinda the same where the computer would not start correctly turned out to be one of the ram sticks

This sounds relevant! Thanks for this. I have 18 gb of ram at this moment and only 12 gb of the ram works. I have since removed the other RAM sticks though. So the only ones connected are the ones that works. Is this still relevant? I'm able to boot up after the second time without touching the ram.

I'd still be interested in testing RAM. What software do I use usually for that?

Have you tried resetting and/or updating your BIOS?
Hi Mr. Carnage,
I have not. I use the x58 Extreme. ASRock > X58 Extreme

I haven't updated a bios in general for a while. Any instructions online to do so?

I assume that I'll download the latest version under ASRock > X58 Extreme

Which is the 2.9 released on May 6th, 2011. At this moment I've downloaded the file but before I proceed just wanted to know what I'm getting into.

Other than the other instruction that Rockman suggested on the Windows 8 website, what should I do?

Update on this tutorial WIndows 8 Hangs on restart - Microsoft Community

My computer is able to initiate the restart function properly, it shuts down powers on but doesn't continue from that point on.

Unlike this user in which he's stuck at the restart screen, I'm able to get past that with the computer physically turning off then powering back on. But never continues past that point. I have to manually power off then power on for the computer to function.

Please advice!

Back
Top Bottom