Problem-Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
My friend is bringing his computer around tomorrow, he needs me to fix it. Now I have a general Idea, what to do to fix it, but extra help doesn't go astray. Now he says, that when his mum goes on the internet, mainly onto internet banking, she goes to login, but as she does so internet explorer closes and returns back to the desktop. Apparently it's happened on a few other websites as well. Please help.

Sounds like she got some S-P-Y-W-A-R-E or/and Viri lingering around:) If she has XP this is what I usually start with for effectively removing all spyware and viri.

Boot into safe mode (after BIOS runs POST hit F8 rapidly to get to the boot menu options screen which you will safe mode) Logon as administrator.

Go to START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP then disable ALL items under there except virus scan.

Go to START>CONTROL PANEL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW and select show hidden files and folders. Then go to c:\documents and settings and go into each user folder and delete ALL of the following files c:\documents and settings\%user%\local settings\temp and C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files and finally c:\documents and settings\%user%\cookies.

Delete all files under C:\WINDOWS\Temp and C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch. Empty the recycle bin and reboot the PC.

Download Spybot S&D 1.4, Adaware SE 1.6, and java cool Spyware blaster. Run all updates for all software then run the scans with adaware and spybot (spyware blaster is not a scanner but helps prevent spyware by blocking active x controls from bad websites). Ohh also before you run the scan with AdAware be sure you download there latest VX2 plugin found here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml

Fix all spyware then update your virus scan and run a full system scan for viri. After all this I usually re-isntall IE6 to rid any mess left over. whoa that was a lot of writing..Im saving this for future use..lol. :) that should get you on your way.

It might have something to do with a popup blocker also becase I used to have this popup blocker that when I went to a certain site it would just close everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom