Problem with OS Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex81388

Daemon Poster
Hi guys, I have XP Home Edition running here, and my boot.ini file is as follows:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
(If the spacing shows up wierd, it shouldn't, but it isn't spaced wierd in my copy)

The problem is when I boot up the computer, it does everything fine until it attemps to load the OS. When it does, I have 30 seconds to choose one of the following:

öMicrosoft Windows XP Pofessionalö /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Windows (Default)

It works just fine, when I choose: 'Windows (default), I dont know why that other one is even there, I looked around and since this string made a match, I think this is the source of the problem:

bootproblem.jpg

I do not have any other options in that dropdown menu.

Also, I searched my registry for a bunch of strings and the entire string and nothing came up, I am at a complete lose. :(

Please help me out.

Yeah, took me a half hour to figure out how to make that damn symbol to post the problem, But notice I cannot copy the selection in thr drop-down menu either, and I have no other choices, what the hell is going on??? I also used google, and everything I find is about having "Dual OS's".

spoofing said:
i dont get ur pro

do u mean u want back the "Windows (Default)" ?

or some u want to restore the boot.ini file to defaull ?

change the file to this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Did that, same issue, I'm telling you it is something with the dialog i posted a Shot of above that lets me choose the 'Default Operating System', but I cannot select the one I want.

First remove the hidden & read-only attribute from the file. Then open up the boot.ini file w/ the Notepad.

Delete everything after the
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=-1

• Change the timeout value from 30 to -1.
  • Save and close Notepad.
  • Re-apply the hidden and read-only attribute.
  • Reboot the system.

When you reboot, you should boot directly into your OS.

Okay, now when I reach the menu to choose the OS, both option say "Windows (Default)"...?

Alex81388 said:
Okay, now when I reach the menu to choose the OS, both option say "Windows (Default)"...?

You probably didn't change the timeout value. When you set it to a value of -1, the PC will boot straight up w/out displaying the menu; when you set it to 0, it will display it for a split second and boot straight into Win2K/XP.

Just to be on the safe side, if I were you, I would make a backup copy of hte original boot.ini file onto a floppy diskette. Copy and paste the contents of your original boot.ini file (from your first posting) and save it w/ Notepad - give it a name of boot.ini.bak.

Lone Wolf said:
You probably didn't change the timeout value. When you set it to a value of -1, the PC will boot straight up w/out displaying the menu; when you set it to 0, it will display it for a split second and boot straight into Win2K/XP.

Just to be on the safe side, if I were you, I would make a backup copy of hte original boot.ini file onto a floppy diskette. Copy and paste the contents of your original boot.ini file (from your first posting) and save it w/ Notepad - give it a name of boot.ini.bak.
Okay, I did change the timeout value, and after I tried it and rebooted, and the same thing happened, I checked my boot.ini and IT was exactly how you said for it to be, so I changhed it back to the original because the same thing happened.

TheMajor said:
start>run
type:
c:/boot.ini

change it according to spoofing's post.

Well, I did try that as well, but no luck.

Luckily, I tried some other things and came apon a solution, I'll post it below for if anyone else has problems:::

-----------------------------------

Okay, this could solve a variety of boot problems as I understand, and it isn't very hard to do. Simply find your XP disk, and put that in the drive. Reboot your computer, and in the BIOS have it boot to the drive with the CD in it.

When it prompts, boot to the CD. After you do, wait for what may seem a long time, and then after everything is loaded, press 'R'. (For recovery Console).

When this happens, you are shown the operating systems you have installed, with a number next to each, select the number by which system you want to install, and press enter.

After this it asks for the password for the Admin, simply type in the password. Next it asks for the OS identification, type:
Microsoft XP Home Edition
or Microsoft XP Professional Edition, depending on which you have.

Then you have the prompt with "C:\Windows". Type 'bootcfg /rebuild".

After it does its work, type 'exit' to quit the console. Your computer will reboot into windows, "hopefully the correct way". If not, continue:

Click the 'Advanced' tab, And then the 'Settings' Button under 'Startup and Recovery'.Not, under 'Default Operating system', if your computer was not fixed after the last reboot, you should be able to choose between how many operating systems you have installed, plus 1. Simply select the correct one, and save, then reboot and it should work fine.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT, MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom