problem with new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedevilisbad

Baseband Member
Hey I'm new to this forum and am wondering if any of you guys can help.

WE recently got a new PC w/o ans OS. I borrowed a installation disk for XP pro for this PC until I could legally buy home addition. Most everything works on it until tonight. WE've have been needing to swith from the old PC and the New PC often because my brother's graduation pics are on the old one. He came out of the house to ask me how to plug the old one in (the share cords for mouse, keyboard, and monitor) so I told him. I came back in later and he told me the new one wouldn't turn on (he had plugged it back in). I looked at it tried to reboot and it almost went to windows but when it did the screen went black and the monitor turned off. WE could still here the windows startup fanfare though. I can't think of what has gone wrong. Do you guys have any ideas?

Reseat the memory and the Video card. Blow out dust in the process. If that does not work, try another video card. Post back with results

Try booting into safe mode. When the computer firsst turns on, press F8 repeatedly in one second intervals until you get a menu that lets you choose several things. Chose safe mode, and boot to that.

Yeah, someone may have made the refresh rate on the screen too high. If that is the case, where you can adjust the refresh rate, there is a checkbox that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". Click that, and then set your refresh rate as high as it will let you.

BTW: Welcome to TF!!:nerd:

If I reloaded windows would it work? CAuse my new copy should be coming in the mail soon. I got it off ebay for 66 bucks and it's the full version not the upgrade.

thedevilisbad said:
how am I gonna check it if I can't see anything?

Go into safe mode, that will only load generic drivers so you wont run into things like that.

You bought Windows off of EBAY? Brand new? I totally would have advised against that. I bet someone just bought Windows, copied it, repackaged it, and sold it to you stating that it was legit. Now you will technically be the one pirating the software if that is the case.

it had pictures. yeah I thought about that but we don't have a credit card so it was worth a shot. Hey thanks for the help I'll try it soon.

Well I tried the safe mode thing and it worked until I tried to boot useing the normal mode. So I expiramented for a while and on the safe mode choose thingy screen I saw where it said boot from settings that worked last time, or something like that. OS I tried that and now I'm on this forum using my new PC. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom