Problem with my sister's computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
My sister's computer has had an issue where her two daughters accounts have gone crazy. Almost all the programs are gone. Where did they go and how do we get them back? I tried putting in a new account but no programs install for that either. What has happened? Vista 32

Sounds like an infection, or possibly disk drive corruption. Have you done anything such as scans for hardware integrity or for viruses?

What did you use to scan for infections? Do they have the Admin rights to install software or is UAC turned on or off? Have you used a Restore Point?

The programs in my sister's account are still there and they are in the computer but the two girls are the ones with the problem.
Used avast to scan. UAC is turned off. Restore point does not go back far enough as we have tried.

UAC maybe turned off, but that doesnt mean that the accounts that the kids use have Admin Rights to install applications. Are those accounts setup as Admin accounts or limited accounts? If they are setup as Limited then that is why the applications are disappearing.

But they have always had them as limited. Should we make them administrators. What about adding a new account user. My sister has all the applications on her side and they work fine. So they are going to have to go and install them again even if they are already on the computer?

Then there has been a change to some setting on the system. It is as simple as that. Cause if there were always limited and this problem never occurred before then some setting must have been changed some where by some one, possibly even by accident.

I would try creating a new admin user and see if that account can use the stuff. If it can you can just create another admin account for the other kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom