Problem with my BITS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.davs

Beta member
Jokey title aside, I am having trouble with some rather large temporary files being created when I use Live Messenger.

Sorry, this is going to be very long-winded so I'll start with my basics: Vista Home Premium, T-Mobile 3G Broadband and Messenger version 8.1.

Up until last weekend, all was functioning normally. Until I installed an old PC game - Delta Force Task Force Dagger. I wasn't sure how to update the game and such so I consulted my friend who plays it and using Messenger he tried to send me an expansion pack and whats called TFD Fixer. The file transfer was taking forever though so I cancelled it and downloaded it via DF Barracks, installed it etc and had it running no bother.

Then I ran a program called CCleaner - which I use regularly with no ills - and it said it had removed 350 MB of temp files! This being the first time I'd seen them I assumed it had been to do with installing the game and didn't think much of it.

Then I went out for a day and left the internet connected and Messenger running and when I came back the built in download monitor had jumped from a monthly total of 1.1 gig to 1.4! This is very bad news because we have a fair usage contract of 3 gig per month.

So I do some checking and find these files in the Temp folder. There are ten of them all 35,342 KB in size with names all starting BITxxxx, with 'x' being random letters and numbers. Every time I deleted them, they'd recreate themselves within minutes. I got nervous and thought it might be spyware or some malware so ran a full deep scan with Kaspersky but nothing came up. Same result from Windows Defender. So not really much to go on there.

I finally tracked down some info through Google that BIT files were to do with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. I'm not so confident with computers as to tinker with services like this, but when I went through Computer>Manage>Services... and turned it off the problem went away.

However it kept coming back each time I logged on to Messenger. I thought I had it quarantined when I created a new User Account on Vista for myself. But yesterday I was having a conversation with the same friend who'd tried sending me the Delta Force files and guess what; a single BITxxxx.tmp file of 35,324 KB in my temp folder!!!!

So now I'm thinking I've narrowed it down to a situation regarding the BITS, and he files he tried to transfer to me before (although they only totalled 10MB, nowhere near 35MB).

Is it because I'm on Vista and he's using XP? Is it nothing to do with anything I'm thinking?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated cos this is driving me nuts!!!!:confused:

Hey, thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately/fortunately, Malwarebytes didn't reveal anything.

I still don't understand how this problem is linked - and it definitely is - to me having conversations with my friend over Messenger, nor why it should affect one User Account more than another.

I've re-installed Messenger (now 2009 version) on the primary account, having deleted all traces I could find of 8.1, and the .tmp files just starting creating themselves as before. I've been using it with the new account I created and so far nothing has happened (but I haven't chatted to my friend for a couple of days, so I don't know).

It's a bit of a bodge job though, and avoiding the problem rather than fixing it. Maybe I'll just have to stick with until I can get to a decent internet connection and do one of those image restore jobbies with all the necessary updates etc.

Sigh... nothing's ever simple eh?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom