Problem installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
great, i screwed up another cd-rom problem. i'll just have to keep plugging in that memory tip and eventually it will help someone. it also helps if i read the problem and actually think about it, sorry.

have you tried using another cd-rom drive from another machine? even if it boots ok with linux it may be a different story with windows. it could be as simple as that

Here's my story: One of my Xp CDs wouldnt boot and the other one were missing files, so I used to install the bootable bad one, then install the non-bootable good one (getting confused). Anyways, you can't use a 98 or ME floppy. But I found in Kazaa a little exe that creates a set of 6 floppies with the beggining of the XP installation, then asks you for the CD. It's made by Microsoft, but I don't know if you are supposed to buy it. Another option is install 98, then upgrade to XP.
HTH

XP BOOT Problem also. Can't boot Win XP Pro from cd or dvd. Hard drive(C)is Primary Master, then CDRW(D) is Secondary Master, and DVD(E) is Secondary Slave. Setup is ok. Boot order is right, (cd first). I have already reinstalled XP un-successfully, and have no alternative but format because of old program folders still being present. Any way, never mind that - I did notice that in the hardware properties of each of the drives, the locations are as follows:-

Hard Drive(C) is location 0 (0)
CDRW(D) is 0(0)
DVD(E), is location 1(1)...
Surely CDRW and Hard drive should have different locations.
I really need to get this t'ing formatted. I have an XP start disc, but don't know the Prompt - and if i did format without sorting this out, would i be able to install xp, bearing in mind the boot problem.
When windows is running, and i insert xp disc, it auto - runs normally, but obviously won't let me format a drive that's in use. Pleeze 'elp!
My system is Running AMI Bios with:
XP Proffessional
K7S5A M/board - (no oboard modem or network card)
Maxtor 40 GB H/drive
512 MB / SD Ram / 133mhz
CD/RW
DVD Rom
Neto Dragon 56kb Modem
Nividia Riva TNT2 M64 / 32 MB Graphics Card

ur jumper settings for HDD and CDRW, Bio.

For those who installed XP with issues like files missing. Its partly due to the quality of the CD-Rs used as well as different CDROM manufacturers.

For example, Samsung CDROMs have issues of spinning too fast and missed a few files, but if you do copying of the files onto ur hard drives before you installed, no files are skipped.

MSI CDROMs also have similar issues. Asus CDROMs have issues like, unable to read certain CDRs, probably due to the coating of the CDRs (too poor quality).

If possible, use ur raw HDD and use another system to partition it first, declare two FAT32 partitions and copy the entire XP pro files on the extended partition. One of the setup for XP is meant for Dos prompt * i forgot whh...sorry* Then install from Dos prompt.

That shld get ur issues solved.

jump settings re: BOOT

My Jumper settings are/were OK.
I booted-up using the 6 discs i got from here... Bootdisc.com
All operating systems supported.
However, i do have other problems... To be Continued!

display cuts-out/system restarts

Hi Ya, I'm back again!
After taking three years getting my PC running smoothly - everything's gone tit's-up...
My display cuts out, and my PC restarts... sometimes the monitor switches off, and i can't turn it on again, although this time, it just went blank - and then re-booted the system
I enclose the location of the error report - Although i don't know how to access it - could you tell me how?... It doesn't help that you can't copy and paste the error signature or Location, does it! - so i had to write the location down... I need someone to help me identify the problem...
Many thanks. Blo.
Error Report Files are :-

C:\WINDOWS\minidump\mini042104-01.dmp
+
C:\DOCUME~1\DAVEST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\systemdata.xml

My system specs are:
New Official K7S5A030811 Bios
XP Proffessional/Office XP Proffessional
K7S5A M/board - (no oboard modem or network card)
Maxtor 40 GB - 7,200 spin H/drive - (Primary/Master)
512 MB / SD Ram / 133mhz
Asus CD/RW Drive - (secondary/Master)
16 X DVD Rom - (Secondary/Slave)
Neto Dragon 56kb Modem
Nividia Riva TNT2 M64 / 32 MB AGP Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom