Problem With Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once GParted creates the two new primaries after seeing the original gone the XP installer will format the one you install that version onto as part of the installation process. You won't have to worry about formatting it first like seen with the older versions.

When first arriving at the main gui in GParted you will see the Vista primary listed right away being on the first hard drive as well as the only one. With more then one drive you would look to the right side of the menu bar for the drive selector there.

Simply click on the NTFS primary seen to highlight that and click on the delete button seen above. From there you click on the apply button and answer yes to the confirmation prompt that will ask if you are sure you want to do this and state that all information will be lost. After answering yes to that the popup with the scrolling indicator tab will appear displaying work in progress.

You will see that along with how to create new primaries in the documentation and screen shots for GParted at GPARTED DOCUMENTATION - GENERALITIES

That's a great step by step guide easy to follow seen at the link there. Once you review that and try a few practice runs you will be stunned at how easy it is to use.

Alright, update.

I deleted the primary partition and created two partitions, (Finally something works) being a noob that I am, I forgot to burn the new sata drives onto a cd to use the f6 3rd party installation. Can anyone link me to a place where I can get this download. I have no idea what to look for. Once I see it, I will know next time. I would really really appreciate this. If you need to know the ocmputer I have, its a HP Pavillion DV2660 Se.

Been a while because I wanted to take a break from this headache. I recently tried to autostream the XP cd, but it wont recognize the cd when I put it in. When I click the magnifying glass, nothing happens. It is not an OEM version of XP. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a bad burn or a bad blank disk. I've tossed enough frisbies from bad burns over the years. What I hate is having to toss backups from one build when the disks can't be read or files won't copy to the hard drive on the next.

I never slipstream anything but will simply use a driver disk if needed. With XP for SP2 at one point having only an SP1 disk to work with I burned the 266mb redistributable package onto a cd-r for more then one system and then went for any other updates once the system was online. I'll probably end up doing that with SP1 for Vista even with the external drive used for backing things up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom