Problem with installing SP1/SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoenberg3

Solid State Member
Hello, I currently have a XP Professional without any of the service packs.

There were two problems that prompted to install the service packs:

1) None of my USB devices worked, EXCEPT my mouse, which is connected through USB (SP were supposed to support them)
2) My 320 gb hard drive displayed as 127 gb (SP was also supposed to resolve this) My bios, however, correctly shows 320 gb.

Now, when I try to install SP1 or SP2 (I tried both), the aforementioned hard drive issue is not resolved. More importantly, however, my USB mouse stops working, nor does XP detect any other USB devices.
So everytime, I am forced to system restore.

Help?

you needed to slipstream a Wxp install...meaning you take your install disc...copies its contents to the harddrive, in it's own folder hopefully.

expand or extract the SP package....from within that I think there is an i386/update folder...

NOW you could download the powertoy command prompt here....right click the i386/update folder and choose open command prompt...

type update -s:c:\WXP

I am just using WXP as an example...but you should pick a similar name for your CD files. Now I am going purely from memory, so just go ahead and do a live search for slipstreaming to verify :D

Live Search

also make sure to check the other forum topics...seriously, aight? :D

In essence, you basically have to work through this "crippled" system, do the slipstreaming...then reinstall...and you should be good to go with a system that can see the full storage capacity. You can do a standard slipstream...or any variety of 3rd party integration packages out there.

You can also add in driver packs to your disc...though I am not sure if you do every driver pack, if your install will blow over 1 disc.

THEN once you have compiled your new disc, you need to turn it into an ISO...and then burn the image...I recommend cdimage for the iso part....and use whatever else for the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom