problem with DVD conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I found a free DVD to iPod converter software (Leawo) and I treid converting some of my DVDs.
It works fine with two but with one DVD it won't work, it fails.
I tried a few tiems also in both of my DVD drives, I looked at the DVD for scratches etc, but it's fine, also cleaned it form dust, but still it won't work.
If I tried to play the DVD and at first it seemed to be dtuttering, but after cleaning it (just wiped off a bit of dust) it played fine, but I still could not convert it.

My quesiton: could this be some kind of DVD copy-protection ?

Thanks,
Lars

all dvds are encrypted with Content Scrambling System (CSS). However, a linux developer broke this encryption long ago with DeCSS.

DeCSS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the firts issue i remember relating to DMCA.

Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, dvd makers can take other actions to protect their content.

Thanks, so in short, my issue is likely to be related to some kind of copy protection?

I'm converting the 4th DVD now, all but the one mentioned work fine. That's odd, isn't it?:confused:

No it isnt odd. It just means that the DVD is newer than the program in terms of encryption. The program can decrypt some of them to convert them but others that are newer it cant. This is teh same reason why programs like AnyDVD are updated all the time. It is just like a vunerability in Windows. Everytime there is a new flaw found they patch it. Same thing. Everytime the encryption is cracked they change it.

No it isnt odd. It just means that the DVD is newer than the program in terms of encryption. The program can decrypt some of them to convert them but others that are newer it cant. This is teh same reason why programs like AnyDVD are updated all the time. It is just like a vunerability in Windows. Everytime there is a new flaw found they patch it. Same thing. Everytime the encryption is cracked they change it.

Ok, Thanks !

Is the date of encryption the only relevant thing?
Because I got the DVD in question about 3-4 years ago, but I just downloaded the lateast update for the DVD converter software.:confused:

It could be that it is using a older version of encryption that the software doesnt check for or decrypt. It could jsut be that the DVD is protected by some other means than the CSS system. It could just be that the software doesnt like the DVD. Very little software like this can work with every DVD released. There is too much to account for.

It could be that it is using a older version of encryption that the software doesnt check for or decrypt. It could jsut be that the DVD is protected by some other means than the CSS system. It could just be that the software doesnt like the DVD. Very little software like this can work with every DVD released. There is too much to account for.

OK, thank you !

I will look for another DVD conversion software to see if that works!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom