problem with a certain filename(in only one directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmankhan

Beta member
Well I use windows xp SP2(no updates)and i have a certain problem with a certain file name.
I have a file called nfs.exe that I have a problem with.I noticed that i was missing form the directory it was supposed to be in so I decided to put it there again.However,windows gave me a message saying that it cannot copy the file and to make sure the disk is not full or write protected.The disk is definiteley not full with a few GB's left.I tried pasting it in another directory and it was successfully pasted there.I tried pasting the file in another directory which existed in the same directory in which it was not pasting before and it was successful again.In short,I can paste the file in all directories except "E:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need for Speed ProStreet" and I can paste it in the subdirectories of this directory(i.e,"E:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need for Speed ProStreet\AIRACELINES").
The next thing I did was create a txt file in this directory(New Text Document.txt).Then I renamed it into nfs.exe.I renamed it successfully and now I have a file called nfs.exe in "E:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need for Speed ProStreet".However,I cannot delete this file or rename it.I cannot modify it either.I tried to open it with notepad but got the error"access is denied".I can however create/delete/rename/modify/copy/paste any other file of any type,size or any other name in "E:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need for Speed ProStreet".On trying to run nfs.exe I get the error"Windows cannot access the specifies device,path, or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the items."

By the way,I also have another problem:All the directories of my computer have the Read Only property.I can change it but whenever I check the properties,they are read only again.Can anyone please solve this too?

Can anyone please solve these problems?Please reply.Thanks in advance!

Have you run some anti spyware software recently? Virus scan? I have seen spyware and viruses change the attributes to folder and file permissions before.

Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom