Problem after a Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMassacre

In Runtime
A friend of mine got a Windows Update last night and since then, he's been having problems with Windows. He said his computer restarted several times and now whenever he gets on his computer blue screens. It normally goes to fast for him to read. All he caught was "Windows could not find" and then a long series of numbers followed that. In Microsoft error report it says it was caused by a device or driver. He tried a system restore but it didn't help. He's using Windows XP.

Can he get into Safe Mode? If so have him disable that BSOD auto restart.

Start>Right click on My computer>Properties.

Under the Advanced tab select Startup and Recovery. Click Settings. There you will see the option for Auto restart on system failure.

Uncheck that box. That will allow him to get the BSOD to stay on screen from there have him get the information from this post:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/

The pic shows exactly what we need. The 2 red arrows point to the info we need.

I would say that he has the Windows Update set to download and wait for him to give the okay to install. Cause there was no updates released yesterday. They were released last week.

Well, he was able to get the information needed. Under the first line was: A process or thread crucial to system operation has been unexpectedly exited or terminated. Under Technical Information is:

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (000000003,0x89A42DA0,0x89A42F14,0x805D1204)

Best option is going to be a Restore Point or Repair install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom