Prob with booting to OS, maybe MBR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digsy

Beta member
Hey, I'm just looking for some help with a problem I have regarding booting to my os. I've had this problem before so I'm pretty sure I know what it is, I just forgot how to fix it. Anyway without futhur ado:

I refomatted my comp and installed XP on my computer, but it wouldnt detect my internet connection, a problem recognising the router I think, so I threw in a live CD for ubuntu, and that worked with my connection, so i uninstalled windows and installed linux. Now after doing this i realised I'm not very good with linux so I wanted to go back to Xp, unfourtunatly after reformatting again and reinstalling It wont continue with the setup after rebooting, the errors is something like "problem loading operating system". So I reckon this is my master boot record telling my computer to boot to linux instead or windows, I've had this happen before, unfortunatly I forgot how to fix it. So I tried resetting the CMOS to reset the MBR, but well ... I guess that was probably a long shot. >_<.

Anyway, to cut a long story short how do I, and do I want to, reset my MBR.

Thank in advance for any help you can give me.

- Digsy

You use the Windows XP CD, with the Repair Console, not sure exactly which command you use though, you can also use MaxBlast4, or the equivalent for Western Digital drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom