Privacy/Security Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

mliraved

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

I'm switching from Mac OSX to Windows Vista 64-bit later this week. On my Mac, I keep private files password-protected in encrypted disk images I create with the Macintosh Disk Utility program. To illustrate it more effectively, Disk Utility creates DMG files (of predetermined sizes) that work a lot like normal folders, only upon double-clicking the folder I'm prompted for my password. No password means (1) no access and (2) no means of reading the contents of the DMG. I'm hoping there's something like this available for Windows Vista; if so, I'd very much appreciate a link of some sort. :)

Best,
M

Vista comes with BitLocker if you get Ultimate, Enterprise or i think business has it as well. So right there is one method.

The NTFS file system that you must you to install Vista on can also be encrypted for protection as well.

There is also things like WinRar where you can create a manual archive yourself and set a password for it. Along with that there is plenty of Encryption software out there.

Almost all this information can be found via a quick google search for reference.

Hi guys,

I'm switching from Mac OSX to Windows Vista 64-bit later this week. On my Mac, I keep private files password-protected in encrypted disk images I create with the Macintosh Disk Utility program. To illustrate it more effectively, Disk Utility creates DMG files (of predetermined sizes) that work a lot like normal folders, only upon double-clicking the folder I'm prompted for my password. No password means (1) no access and (2) no means of reading the contents of the DMG. I'm hoping there's something like this available for Windows Vista; if so, I'd very much appreciate a link of some sort. :)

Best,
M

TrueCrypt will do exactly this... almost. It's Open Source and multi-platform.

You create a "Vault" which TrueCrypt can then mount as if it's another HDD - the volume is portable. You can put the vault/volume onto any media (so far as I know) and it's of a predetermined size. You specify the encryption method and password.

At my company we use TrueCrypt in conjunction with KeePass.

Any time I have to back up an Officer's email to DVD I put the .pst file into a TrueCrypt volume and encode it with a 20 character randomly generated password from KeePass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom