"Printer cannot be removed..." W2k3 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I would not post this up here except that the problem has escalated from "Annoyance" to "Unique"

The original error was "Printer cannot be removed. Access is denied" - which the solution was to delete the registry entries for the printer. Done. That seems to have cleared up the problems for everyone else who posted that problem on the internet.

The problem then evolved into "Printer cannot be removed. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly..."

I verified that the printer is working properly because I can go straight to it's IP and print, but that's not "best practices" I need to get the share working on the server again.

Another interesting thing is that there are still active sessions from a couple of machines which have been off the network for a while - a couple of months. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it...

It seems that the previous IT goons had their own ideas about "best practices" which has fudged up the printer for everyone else.

Well first you will want to remove those sessions. They could very well be the source for many issues. You might want to clear the whole Que. While not optimal it might have to be done.

At least that will allow you to be able to try and see if it was just those sessions that shouldnt have been there that cause this, because the printer is trying to get those from the Que or whatever.

Mak - to specify I was able to delete the original Share - just not those sessions, which is even more puzzling. There is nothing hung up in the cue, in fact the things that were there are gone...

wait a second, that gives me an idea... I remember that there's a folder where things are stored from the print cue, maybe something there got corrupted... brb

Yeah check that folder. I bet there is something in there that is caught up and not going away which is stalling you out.

Blast! C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS is absolutely empty! Wtf???

I have all the "Hide..." options off and all the "Show..." options on in Folder > View... there's just nothing there... at all.

Is there another print spool folder in W2k3 Server?

EDIT: Like I said, this problem is now in the "Unique" category

Shut down the Printer Spooler. Disable it in Services. Reboot the server then restart it. Maybe reboot the server again after that.

Maybe it is just the Printer Spooler service itself failing.

Well, I just got back from a meeting and the errant printers have vanished. I guess the system was just trying to catch up with me... I'll reshare the printer and see what happens.... ick...

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom