prevent .exe files from downloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is something to try. Open IE. Go to you Tools>Internet Options>Security Tab>internet. Click Custom Level. Scroll thru there and click the download section to enable. This part where it says "Automatic Prompting for file downloads" It is set to disable. Maybe setting it to enable will prompt you to download these things fro the sites.

It is not a guarentee but at least it si something.

Read post 14. But other than switching that will be your best option. If that dont work you have no choice but to either A) Live with the downloaded sypware/viruses or B) give up IE and switch to a different browser.

You wanted the answer there is it. IE is not the choice here. You want it to be safe and secure. It isnt. There is no way even with a firewall to prevent this. Even if we could what happens when you forget about it and you try to download a file from a M$ site? That is in .exe format and cant. You will be right back here asking us again how to do be able to download the file when we have already told you how to block it.

This is a no win situation. If there was a way to block it you would have to remember everytime you wanted to legitly download a file about it. I know i am not perfect and i forget things all teh time. So i highly doubt you could remember everytime you click your mouse if hte block is on.

exactly. in simple terms, by simply using IE, you are giving your computer permission to launch .exe files. activex is not your friend, he's bill gates and all virus writer's friend

Okay so I always have a problem with this too. I decided to firefox is okay with me. Where do I actually set this NoScript at? Thanks for any and all help. Does this allow for carefree browsing?

Open FIrefox... go to Tools, Add-ons, then hit Extensions Tab (if not already opened) and hit Get Extensions and type for it...

or just go here (the way listed above goes there anyways)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

wait 3 seconds, hit Install Now, and then let it download and install, then Restart the Fox

and if your website don't appear correctly, you can set what to allow. if it's a trusted site, you can set it to allow all

and if your website don't appear correctly, you can set what to allow. if it's a trusted site, you can set it to allow all

thats what i set mine to do... but since this would be a first time visit for him... i assumed that he didn't have that allowed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom