Preinstalled software question

chanchan05

In Runtime
So I'm looking to update my software in the near future when Windows 8 comes out. Then I realized that I may lose some preinstalled software on my HP Laptop. Now I don't care much for some of the others like HP Media Smart and all that, but it also came with PowerDirector, Power2Go, Youcam and a few other useful stuff that turn out to be paid programs. Is there someway I can carry them over?

If you upgrade to Windows 8, you lose nothing. However, if you reinstall, you will lose everything including your personal files.

We can not say what software works in 8, since it hasn't been fully released yet.

They did say that anything made for Win7 will work right? Only those made for XP would be questionable? PowerDirector 8 and higher is for Vista or higher only AFAIK.

I was looking for a reinstall. So basically there's no way I can keep these? Oh well. I hope copy paste works for these. LOL. I sort of paid for them when I bought HP, wouldn't want to buy them again. :D

You would have to see if you can install the software separately from your recovery DVD's. Otherwise, you'll have to contact HP to see if they can send you a software disc or if they have links where you can download them from.

They did say that anything made for Win7 will work right? Only those made for XP would be questionable? PowerDirector 8 and higher is for Vista or higher only AFAIK.

I was looking for a reinstall. So basically there's no way I can keep these? Oh well. I hope copy paste works for these. LOL. I sort of paid for them when I bought HP, wouldn't want to buy them again. :D

In theory software made for Windows 7 should work with Windows 8. But I can tell you from personal experience using all 3 Previews that this is not the case. There is quite a bit of software, especially in the latest Release Preview (The one that is supposed to closely resemble the release version), that doesn't work in Windows 8 perfectly. This will require the software developers to release updates to their software. So at this point in time there is no saying for sure that the preinstalled software that came with your HP will work.

As for carnageX's option, I dont think that will work. The reason being is you have modified the laptop from the manufacturer by installing your own version of Windows. At that point they dont have to supply support or anything for the laptop since you have voided your warranty by modfying the device. Since your doing a fresh install, your best bet will see if the disks will do anything, but I doubt it since they will recognize that the OS is not installed by HP.

As for carnageX's option, I dont think that will work. The reason being is you have modified the laptop from the manufacturer by installing your own version of Windows. At that point they dont have to supply support or anything for the laptop since you have voided your warranty by modfying the device. Since your doing a fresh install, your best bet will see if the disks will do anything, but I doubt it since they will recognize that the OS is not installed by HP.

I've done it before on computers that came with application discs separate from the OS install disc.

So it seems that the only things I can do is to either just make an upgrade (which I don't want to if possible, I want a fresh install for reasons), try to contact HP, or just buy the programs altogether?

I'll see the contact HP thing first. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom