Prefetch - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default Prefetch

how do you disable the prefetch?

In that folder if you haven't noticed it has files that slows down your computer and when you delete them and go on the internet more go in that folder!!!

I want to find out a way to stop that so If anyone knows please help me!!!

Old 01-14-2006, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to NayNay1991x

i dont think there is a way of doing it you will just have to delete them every 4 days or something..

Old 01-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

Dont disable this. You will notice a major decrease in performance if there even is a way to do this. The prefetch is like CACHE so to speak. It is good to delete it every once in a while, but not daily.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
3. Set the value to either 0-Disable.
4. reboot.

If you're like me your system only has about 128megs of RAM. The Windows XP Prefetch can take a lot of this up by preloading programs at boot as well as preloading programs you often use thus sucking away your available RAM.

On my system, a Dell PIII 866 with 128 megs of RAM, I was able to greatly boast my system performance by disabling Prefetch all together. It used to take a half hour for the disk to stop thrashing after stopping Nortons SpeeDisk, Now it stops instantly.

Note: This tweak worked for this user and their system configuration but disabling prefetch on other systems may have a bad effect as it might free up ram but it also could increase program start up time.

Here's how to disable Prefetch.
Closed Thread