Power User loses rights after updates.

Sadly, you may be right. It's taken me a couple of weeks to get to where I am, with all XPs idiot features configured out. I was well chuffed to have got the updates installed, and was looking forward to installing software. I don't think I could face starting again!

Sadly, you may be right. It's taken me a couple of weeks to get to where I am, with all XPs idiot features configured out. I was well chuffed to have got the updates installed, and was looking forward to installing software. I don't think I could face starting again!

Easiest thing to do is if your install disc doesn't already have SP3 on it (but already has SP2), you can slipstream the service pack onto the install disc using n-Lite. That'll allow you to integrate the service pack in the installation so you don't have to manually install it. Then you can just run all the updates that Windows/Microsoft Update finds.

Ideally though, you should be moving away from XP as it's End of Life and no longer receives security patches.

If you decide to look into windows 7 check with your boss and see how many keys you might need.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full Version (OEM) 32-bit - DOWNLOAD ONLY FQC-00730-dl

74.00 X10 product keys 740.00 for your business, if you go for windows 8.1 it'll cost more.
Check and make sure your computers hardware components can handle W8 without issues.

If you decide to look into windows 7 check with your boss and see how many keys you might need.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full Version (OEM) 32-bit - DOWNLOAD ONLY FQC-00730-dl

74.00 X10 product keys 740.00 for your business, if you go for windows 8.1 it'll cost more.
Check and make sure your computers hardware components can handle W8 without issues.

Windows 10 is just around the corner, probably less than a year so getting W8 would be a waste of time and money

Getting to SP3 isn't a big problem. It's all the tweaking 'Services' settings and remembering how to stop the software hiding any programs I haven't used in the last five minutes etc, etc that is so tedious!

Ideally though, you should be moving away from XP as it's End of Life and no longer receives security patches.

Agreed, but I don't have hardware adequate for Windows 7, needed a system in a hurry, and had this computer with a clean install of XP lying around doing nothing. And 7 isn't cheap. Linux is more in my price-range, but all my attempts to get a working installation have failed for one reason or another.

I never liked XP much. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've been using a Windows 2000 Pro system constantly until very recently (no updates since 2010), and still do quite a lot.

P.S. Have been doing more searches and it appears that it is normal for Power Users to appear as "unknown account type" in the Users panel, so I guess it's back to a User Rights problem.

Last edited:
Windows 10 is just around the corner, probably less than a year so getting W8 would be a waste of time and money

Personally I don't think it would be sure its "1" year away.
If this guy were to go ahead to purchase newer OS.
I think it would be in his interest to learn windows 8.
If hes fluent with windows 7 it shouldn't be much of a problem for him to teach or assist some of his workers to use W8.
Also keep in mind we don't have a clear price tag for windows 10.
I remember when I got windows 8 pro key, retail microsoft wanted 300.00 bucks upfront.
If it werent for that promotion I got from msdn newsletter and ms let me pay 14.99 I wouldn't be using windows 8 anything right now.
Right now 8.1 prices stand at 99.99 to 159.00 tops in online stores.
In local stores the prices go up uP UP! :/

Just think about it for abit and you'll understand where I'm coming from by this.

After the dismal sales of 8, Microsoft needs a sales boost for revenue by hitting the gate on top with 10 with positive reviews from the IT community (which is what M$ is doing right now). Currently OEM vendors are ramping up production as we write for X-Mas sales for '14 and M$ knows it needs to get W10 out before the OEM's start production for X-Mas in 15'. If M$ fails to do this they will lose millions in sales and I don't see that happening

Last edited:
After the dismal sales of 8, Microsoft needs a sales boost for revenue by hitting the gate on top with 10 with positive reviews from the IT community.

I still think he should get familiar with 8 when he and his company is ready to move on to 10 let them do so.
I rather him use 8 first learn it, reteach that to his workers unfamiliar with 8.
Atleast it would bring his company up to speed with what MS has.
If he runs into a wall with 8 this place, toms hardware and microst commnunity can assist.

How would you like it if you knew nothing about 8 and your supervisor decides to spring windows 10 on you ?
Most people who aren't tech savvy or don't have the patience to sit down and learn a new os would **** themselves silly.

The past 2 years the people I interact with in my home town aren't too thrilled to have a new change in their computer.
Especially when no one can't sit down, explain and navigate them through it.
This is why I am a computer technician I enjoy this.

Nowhere has OP said this was for a business - not sure where you made that conclusion at - couldn't find it anywhere in OP's posts.

Getting to SP3 isn't a big problem. It's all the tweaking 'Services' settings and remembering how to stop the software hiding any programs I haven't used in the last five minutes etc, etc that is so tedious!
May be a good idea to just create an image of your system using CloneZilla or Acronis after you do a fresh install and do all your tweaking and install your necessary software. That way you wouldn't have to worry about going through all the updates/tweaking again if you needed to do a fresh install of XP on it - you would just have to apply the image to the system and voila.

Agreed, but I don't have hardware adequate for Windows 7, needed a system in a hurry, and had this computer with a clean install of XP lying around doing nothing. And 7 isn't cheap. Linux is more in my price-range, but all my attempts to get a working installation have failed for one reason or another.
What distro's have you tried? If you have some at least decent hardware, Ubuntu or Linux Mint should be good choices for new users. Puppy Linux is good for very low end hardware.

P.S. Have been doing more searches and it appears that it is normal for Power Users to appear as "unknown account type" in the Users panel, so I guess it's back to a User Rights problem.
I'd still recommend just doing another fresh install - but instead use the Windows/Microsoft updater that's built in instead of using a 3rd party tool. Pretty sure that's where your issues started.

M$ has said that Win10 is expected to release at the end of next year (2015) - most likely October-ish when they normally have their release cycles.

I still think he should get familiar with 8 when he and his company is ready to move on to 10 let them do so.
I rather him use 8 first learn it, reteach that to his workers unfamiliar with 8.
Atleast it would bring his company up to speed with what MS has.
If he runs into a wall with 8 this place, toms hardware and microst commnunity can assist.
Again, no mention of this being for a company by OP at all.

How would you like it if you knew nothing about 8 and your supervisor decides to spring windows 10 on you ?
Most people who aren't tech savvy or don't have the patience to sit down and learn a new os would **** themselves silly.

A lot of people have refused to learn Win8, so honestly it won't be any different people jumping from 7 -> 8 or 7 -> 10. Either way they'll have to learn new parts of the UI. It's just that 10 has a Start Menu and will be more "familiar" to people that are running 7 (or earlier).

use 8 first learn it, reteach that to his workers unfamiliar with 8

The past 2 years the people I interact with in my home town aren't too thrilled to have a new change in their computer.
Especially when no one can't sit down, explain and navigate them through it.
This is why I am a computer technician I enjoy this.
That takes time...and with Windows 8 it could mean a lot of time that I can not afford to just give away. I can not justify charging someone my time to learn W8 when Windows 7 is available and has a much lower learning curve

I sold a lot more pc's this year due to the end of XP. The last thing I want to do is to p*zz off my clients by installing windows 8. They have a hard enough time adjusting from XP to 7. My warranty work load would increase by 100x by having to explaining to users on how to use W8|8.1 when it is un-necessary

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom