Power User loses rights after updates.

Local System is basically the Windows System. It's possible that there are issues popping up from those missing entries - I'd go ahead and add the permissions back and see if it fixes the issues you're having.

This might be a long shot but I've seen malware in the past that really messes with user permissions - it couldn't be a malware problem could it?

OP said a "new" XP system - I assume he meant a fresh install.

Well he did say he was downloading updates if he was using internet with no protection at the time.
I can see why Iparanormal would mention that also I agree with him because it does make sense if you think about it.

However I suggest the o remove his name from the user group first.
Next he updates installs AV such as mssentials and use a firewall.
If he can do that successfully I suggest he become a admin not a power user to prevent this problem from happening again.

Thanks, all, for the advice.

I have only been online to download the updates. I installed Avast and Agnitum Outpost firewall before I did. I used "Windows Update Downloader", not Microsoft Windows Update, but I checked and didn't find any reports of this being risky, and I scanned the program with Avast (updated) before I started (and the updates afterwards).

Is it OK to simply add "Local System" to whatever is there already? What is "LOCAL SERVICE" and "NETWORK SERVICE" and does anyone know what "SUPPORT_388945a0" is? Can anyone with an XP Pro installation confirm whether their User Rights Assignment shows Local System in the places Microsoft suggests?

For easy comparison I made a list of the entries where my system differs from the Microsoft default. I've uploaded it as a text file to http//:www.ss48.vispa.com/user_rights_assignment.txt.

Last edited:
I used "Windows Update Downloader", not Microsoft Windows Update,

I can see how that can contribute to your problem. may have gotten an update that corrupted something in your registry. Which is a very good reason to stop using Windows XP.

Last edited:
Since my previous post I have restored the system to the point where all the updates were installed, and I've run qfecheck to check that they are installed properly. I have checked that the settings in User Rights Assignment are identical to the ones in my screenshot.

To check that I didn't miss something before, I tried again adding a new user and adding them to the Power User group, but with the same result as previously. They show as a member if I look in Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Groups > Power Users, but if I look in User Accounts they show as "unknown account type". If I change it to a "Limited" account it retains this setting - until I add it to Power Users when it becomes "unknown" again.

Just a thought: are the updates for XP Pro normally the same as for XP Home? The updates list from WUD did not specify which version, but they all installed OK.

Last edited:
I'm really way out of my depth here, but some more thoughts: I don't really have a clue what any of the settings in User Rights Assignment do. If I right click on one, select properties, and go to the "Explain this Setting" tab, it might as well be written in Swahili for all the sense it makes to me!

However none of the settings look to me to be fundamental enough to be causing this problem. They all look to be concerned with rights to do things I will never want to do anyway. Is it possible that the problem is nothing to do with User Rights, but to do with the fact that when I set an account to Power User the system is unable to recognise it as such (see my previous post).

Honestly, since this is a new install, it would probably be best to wipe and reinstall. And then install updates through Windows/Microsoft Update rather than a 3rd party tool. I'd say that could be where your problems started from.

Why did you decide to go with XP?
What is the power user trying to do when you notice they're permissions are inadequate?
What are you trying to do?
Your OP says you were having problems with power user permissions on a fresh install - could you elaborate more on your objective or goal?

Back
Top Bottom