power up/down software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked in my bios and found that it has the option of

AC power loss restart (enable/disable)

Does this mean that the pc will boot up if there is a power loss and power is restored? Will the pc power up on its own with this option enabled? Would this cause any damage to my pc. I have a spike protector before the powerstip, and the power strip has one too.

I think wake-on-alarm is a feature of many recent motherboard manufacturer in the last few years. shuttle, pc chips, asus. on some gateway computers its called Real Time Clock Wake-up Alarm. it can also be called RTC Alarm Wake up and other names are used.

all variations of asus a7n8x including the deluxe and E-dlx have it listed in the bios labeled "automatic power up", It might also be called RTC Timer (real time clock). consult your mobo manual or list your make/ model.

power loss restart, if disabled, leaves your PC turned off is there is a power loss. if enabled, your pc will reboot when power is restored. you still need to use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) backup if you want your computer and data to be protected in case of a power loss. yes you will lose any unsaved data unless using UPS. yes it's possible for your hardware to be damage if you get a power spike, but not from a power loss.

I have been looking at this an I think there is a way with Scheduled Tasks.

If you schedule a task on your machine, running XP, you can tell it to wake the Computer up to do it. Now, this only works if the machine is in sleep mode, not powered down.
You might really want to look into the wake on Modem is you need this bad. All you would need is a remote terminal that can dial up the modem and send the magic packet to initiate it. After you configure the device that is...
it's very doable and not too hard.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom