~~ Power Options (in control panel) ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I want to leave some file to download overnight (connection is *SLOOOW*) There are settings in Power Options like "turn hard disks off after XX minutes". I want to know if that would interfere with the download. Thanks.

there is a setting for shutting down the hd with no activity. I have mine set at never. If you are downloading you should not have an inactive drive. If it is a large file I would reccomend using a download manager in case you loose the connecion you can restart the dl from where you left off.

I am using a dl manager but i want the file ASAP, you know what I mean? I just want to know if downloading counts as "inactivity" and shuts it down even though files are being written on it.

You will need to have disc activity. How do you expect the download to write to the drive if you have no activity? Even a download counts as activity...

ok, so if it is downloading, it will not go into the "sleep" mode right? I thought activity meant input from the user.

It will go into sleep mode. But it will have disc activity. Technically a download is input from the user. The PC doesnt know you are away. It only knows that a file is being transfered and it needs to be written to disc.

I do it everyday. I leave my PC on. I let it go into sleep mode. But only my monitors turn off. I have disc activity cause i am doing 2 thigns. 1. downloading with uTorrent. 2. creating a DVD with Nero Vision. SO i need disc activity just like you do.

ok thanks. I left it on and it worked. So i guess that it turns off the HDs and stuff 20 min after no CPU activity, not 20min after you stopped moving your mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom