possible virtual memory issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastyratz

Beta member
alright ive always noticed something on my computer. I have 1gb of ram and a pagefile setup as 1500-3000mb. Im experiencing this right now where ive only got 1503mb of my pagefile in use. My computer seems to have a sort of "limit" it sets to the number of things i can run on my windows xp pro sp1 install. I always forget things and always multitask so i have tons of stuff running at once thats how i do and need to do things. After i have alot of things open things will start to act weird as if i have run out of resources [i.e. ill go to open a new internet explorer window and the toolbar will be missing, or it wont open at all till i close another window (any window)] i could close something small and stupid like a text file and it will allow me another window of any type like the i.e. window. is there a sort of running processes limiter in windows or something? what am i missing here? its not like i dont have enough ram, and im not even using all the pagefile!!! btw this is also the way it has always been and ive reinstalled windows plenty of times.

Hmmm...thats wierd. Usually when your RAM starts forgetting stuff thats a sign of bad memory. What exact type of RAM do you have? Also, are you using Norton 2004? That program eats up allot of resoruces.

Uh...Just a quick, um...pointer pointing... Do you have enough memory left on your hard-drive to allow a 3-gig pagefile?

Second, I'd be interested to know if Windows is capable of addressing a 3-gig pagefile.

Third, I run 1-gig of ram and a 1-gig pagefile, and I can open AutoCAD, Hammer, Fireworks, Corel, EI, ICQ, WinAmp, and several notepads, all without problems.

with one gig mem you can probably get away without a page file. If you must, though, set the min and max page file to the same amount, and I would only do a gig or so, because the rule of thumb of 1 1/2 times the memory doesn't really apply to systems with large amounts of memory... for now, anyhow.

nope... like 10gb free space. my computer typically has a consistant newsgroups download with newsbin pro, wmp playing a song, about 10 folders open, 20 or so i.e. windows, outlook express, a few notepads, sharaza, aim, and about 10 or so other apps. ive got about 650gb space so space is not an issue lol. i dont know about the ram being bad because ive got geil ram, and ive gone through several sticks of different brands in my upgrading times. (including mushkin, no name, oc system, etc) ive always been told to double double with ram. (i.e. 512mb ram 1024-2048mb page file) but i didnt wanna make a 4gb page file its just rediculous. i do run norton 2004 also though but i still should have plenty of resources for this, i mean i havent used barely more than the minimum! it seems almost to "leak" too because the longer i go the less windows i can have open without this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom