Is it possible to view all partitions of a partitioned USB drive in Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

false

Beta member
Hey. I screwed up my Ubuntu 8.04 that came with my Dell Mini by trying to install a package that was bigger than my hard drive, thus accidentally uninstalling the entire GUI in the process.

... Yeah, I'm a moron sometimes.

As a result, I now have access only to Ubuntu 8.04's terminal. As such, I've installed a bootable instance of Ubuntu 11.04 on a 16GB USB drive. I've created a roughly 2.68GB casper-rw partition. Ubuntu 11.04 worked for awhile but now boots but refuses to load, and when I look at the log thing that appears when you press arrowkeys at the loading screen, I see that when it's loading, it encounters a multitude of errors such as being unable to unmount devices because they're busy and trying to access closed loops, and then stops and doesn't do anything at all. I figured that I must have broken it somehow and that I'd get my files off, format the drive, install Ubuntu on the drive again, and put my files back on with another USB drive I have that's large enough to store my files but not large enough to store another installation of Ubuntu, but when I put my flash drive that has the broken Ubuntu installed on it into my larger and more powerful laptop that has Windows Vista installed, Windows Vista only sees the casper-rw partition and identifies everything in the bootable partition as "free space." I wonder if it does this with multiboot hard drives as well. What's that old joke about Windows assuming it's the only operating system on the computer again...?

I could theoretically use my broken installation of Ubuntu 8.04 to move my files, but to do that, I'd have to mount the two USB drives I'd be working with, and I can't figure out how to mount devices; none of the tutorials I've read seem to work for me. I know Ubuntu 8.04 itself must do it somehow; from what I've heard, mounting devices is a crucial part of the way it loads.

Anyway, is there any way to get Windows Vista to recognize both partitions of the USB drive, or at least the partition with my files on it instead of the casper-rw partition?

I'd give up on trying to use vista to recover your files, the file system type of the partitions will probably require you to install additional file system drivers (which may come with their own complications).

IMO, you should focus on getting 11.04 back up and running, move your 8.04 files into the 11.04 setup and then (assuming that you have confirmed 11.04 works on the target system) install 11.04 onto the HDD and transfer the files back onto the HDD install.

I'd give up on trying to use vista to recover your files, the file system type of the partitions will probably require you to install additional file system drivers (which may come with their own complications).

IMO, you should focus on getting 11.04 back up and running, move your 8.04 files into the 11.04 setup and then (assuming that you have confirmed 11.04 works on the target system) install 11.04 onto the HDD and transfer the files back onto the HDD install.

Thanks a bundle for the advice, bro/sis.

Alright, so, sorry if I'm misinterpreting you here; I have Asperger syndrome, so I tend to do that sometimes. I swear, any resemblance of the behavior to smartarsery is completely unintentional. Are you saying move the files from my hard drive onto my USB in order to save them from being erased, then install 11.04 on my hard drive, which I can then use to move the-- Ohhh. Oh, okay. Never mind. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks a bundle for the advice, bro/sis.

Alright, so, sorry if I'm misinterpreting you here; I have Asperger syndrome, so I tend to do that sometimes. I swear, any resemblance of the behavior to smartarsery is completely unintentional. Are you saying move the files from my hard drive onto my USB in order to save them from being erased, then install 11.04 on my hard drive, which I can then use to move the-- Ohhh. Oh, okay. Never mind. Thanks again for the advice.

That's right. The 11.04 system on the USB drive is the one closest to being able to recover your files. Once they are recovered, you can reinstall the OS on the HDD (the latest Ubuntu is a good candidate for this) and move the files from the USB to the HDD.
If you want to go ahead with this, I will move the thread into the Linux section so that the Linux guys can help you out. On the other hand, if you want to try recovering to Vista, I will leave it here.

Windows Vista/7 can't see multiple partitions on a USB flash drive, and doesn't read file systems other than NTFS, exFAT, FAT32/16, and the main file systems for optical disks (UDF, CDFS) unless you install a file system driver for it.

You can download EASEUS partition master and use it to delete one partition, and I think Windows should see the other partition, but you'll also need a file system driver (I'm guessing it's EXT2/3/4).

Another option is to install (or run a live) Linux OS in a virtual machine and mount your USB drive into it from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom