Is it possible to use Xp for... - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Uhhh... have any of you ever read the EULA

I think that you are allowed to have 3 installs of the same disc on machines in your home... Personal computers only,,,

cheers

\"You\'re the Disease, and I\'m the Cure!\"
Old 07-26-2004, 02:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to lester8908

Quote:
Originally posted by GameGURU
I have done it many a time, it is the only way to re-activate it from a system reformat or whatever. I did it and you are unable to use xp after 30 days if you dont activate it. To make things worse you have to call up and talk to the stupid phone. yeah the phone, some computer comes on and asks for the installation id (now if you activate more than one os with this they will find out and make you buy a new license). Of course microsoft is too lazy to get their tech people on the phone. Then you start slowing trying to get this damn computer thing to understand you voice and then when you are done chatting in this 40 something character key it says they cant find it...so THEN you can get the tech dudes, they then quiz you over all kinds of stupid crap. Then THEY give you another cd-key and you have to put that in, then you are all done. Possibly the stupidest thing in the world.
Yea I had a windows xp oem that let you install it on up to 2 computers. I had installed it on 2 so I was going to call intel and get another activation code so I went through all that crap that gameguru had to do and then I talked to an intel guy and we talked and talked but he said I couldnt get a new activation code because it was an oem.

So yea pain in the butt but I would try to use it i mean the worse thing that could happen is get sent to jail. So yea it is worth the risk.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

What a clusterf*ck of a thread this has become.

XP has been out for ... what... like 2 years now? And people are still debating whether they can install it on more than 1 machine. Like can we beat a dead horse some more??

XP Home: The EULA states that you can install XP only on 1 machine and only 1. That's O-N-E... the number that comes before 2 for those who are mathematically impaired and need help w/ their numbers.

If you install it on a 2nd machine, MS gives you 30 days to activate that installation. After 30 days if you still haven't activated it, the OS will lock down and you will no longer be able to boot up to your desktop.

I don't know enough about the professional version to say.

And BTW, Ice... did you not see the thread further down the page with the post made by Freechus9 asking the same question?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashAbbott

I think that you are allowed to have 3 installs of the same disc on machines in your home... Personal computers only,,,

cheers
I am almost positive that you have to have one license per computer.
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashAbbott

cheers
OH yes... and a MS professional will show up at your doorsteps and install ALL 3 versions for you as well free of charge.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It is my understanding that with windows xp home edition unless you purchase at the time a license for more than one computer you can only install it on one computer. Now that being said
there are many ways to get a crack product key. I will not inform you on how to do it. *hint* google is a very good search engine*hint*

Closed Thread