Is it possible to trace an IP through an Email (please read question in post) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to hawaiian style
Default Is it possible to trace an IP through an Email (please read question in post)

I was wondering if it was possible to get someone’s IP address through an email they sent you.

I got a threatening email and I am presuming that it is from a colleague at work.

I have an email from him, work related, and (if it was possible) use that IP and the one from the threatening email and compare it so I can get him busted.

Anyone know if there is a way for me to do that? Or is it even possible?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Is it possible to trace an IP through an Email (please read question in post)

IT is possilbe. But you would have to uncover the source IP of the email.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Is it possible to trace an IP through an Email (please read question in post)

Yes, its possible. Most allow you to view the extended sender information which will contain IP addresses. Hotmail allows you to do this, as one example. I'm sure yahoo and gmail do as well.

The other thing to realize is that IP addresses can change, and an IP address is associated to one computer. so if he sent the email from a home computer, it will not match the work computer.

Since its a threatening email, I assume that there is no name. And since he probably didn't send it via his work email, having an email from his work account might not be helpful, (i.e. different computers).

Just having the same IPs doesn't convict, since IPs can change, or someone could have sent it using his computer. The best thing is to ask the email provider that sent the email to get the information about the account holder. Also filing a complaint with the local police and your work place, if you think its work related, would be a step you should do as well.
-------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Powered by: Antec Earth Watts
-------------------------------
Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to hawaiian style

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjheero_yuy99 View Post
Yes, its possible. Most allow you to view the extended sender information which will contain IP addresses. Hotmail allows you to do this, as one example. I'm sure yahoo and gmail do as well.

The other thing to realize is that IP addresses can change, and an IP address is associated to one computer. so if he sent the email from a home computer, it will not match the work computer.

Since its a threatening email, I assume that there is no name. And since he probably didn't send it via his work email, having an email from his work account might not be helpful, (i.e. different computers).

Just having the same IPs doesn't convict, since IPs can change, or someone could have sent it using his computer. The best thing is to ask the email provider that sent the email to get the information about the account holder. Also filing a complaint with the local police and your work place, if you think its work related, would be a step you should do as well.
so hero, how do i view the extended send info?
(and i read all the other thing you said about it not 100% being sure it was the same person, but it will just convince myself then i can just know to do what i can to avoid him)
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Is it thru GMail or hotmail? If it is thru gmail the way to be able to view the soure is this. Load up the gmail site in your browser. http://gmail.google.com/ From there log in to your account. Under All Mail you should find that message. From there open it. Now you shouls see a thing in the upper right coner that says show details. Hit that. Then by the reply button you will notice a small window pop up. Talking about if you want more detials to click there. Click on that and use the show original. You will see the source code for the original. Just look thru the code to find the From and the IP Address.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Web Programmer

tell us if you get anyone busted! would be great to her another scandalous internet tail about people getting owned.

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Email Tracker Pro

eMailTrackerPro - trace email, spam email, email spam, outlook email spam, email tracking, email tracing, email trace, trace phishing email
Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2

from gmail it actually does not refer to ip but to sent by : 0.0.0.0 etc. so you can't find the ip by typing "ip" at find but by typing "By"

Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

I wonder if this is related

Find deleted file