Is it possible to trace an IP through an Email (please read question in post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaiian style

In Runtime
I was wondering if it was possible to get someone's IP address through an email they sent you.

I got a threatening email and I am presuming that it is from a colleague at work.

I have an email from him, work related, and (if it was possible) use that IP and the one from the threatening email and compare it so I can get him busted.

Anyone know if there is a way for me to do that? Or is it even possible?

IT is possilbe. But you would have to uncover the source IP of the email.

Yes, its possible. Most allow you to view the extended sender information which will contain IP addresses. Hotmail allows you to do this, as one example. I'm sure yahoo and gmail do as well.

The other thing to realize is that IP addresses can change, and an IP address is associated to one computer. so if he sent the email from a home computer, it will not match the work computer.

Since its a threatening email, I assume that there is no name. And since he probably didn't send it via his work email, having an email from his work account might not be helpful, (i.e. different computers).

Just having the same IPs doesn't convict, since IPs can change, or someone could have sent it using his computer. The best thing is to ask the email provider that sent the email to get the information about the account holder. Also filing a complaint with the local police and your work place, if you think its work related, would be a step you should do as well.

Yes, its possible. Most allow you to view the extended sender information which will contain IP addresses. Hotmail allows you to do this, as one example. I'm sure yahoo and gmail do as well.

The other thing to realize is that IP addresses can change, and an IP address is associated to one computer. so if he sent the email from a home computer, it will not match the work computer.

Since its a threatening email, I assume that there is no name. And since he probably didn't send it via his work email, having an email from his work account might not be helpful, (i.e. different computers).

Just having the same IPs doesn't convict, since IPs can change, or someone could have sent it using his computer. The best thing is to ask the email provider that sent the email to get the information about the account holder. Also filing a complaint with the local police and your work place, if you think its work related, would be a step you should do as well.

so hero, how do i view the extended send info?
(and i read all the other thing you said about it not 100% being sure it was the same person, but it will just convince myself then i can just know to do what i can to avoid him)

Is it thru GMail or hotmail? If it is thru gmail the way to be able to view the soure is this. Load up the gmail site in your browser. http://gmail.google.com/ From there log in to your account. Under All Mail you should find that message. From there open it. Now you shouls see a thing in the upper right coner that says show details. Hit that. Then by the reply button you will notice a small window pop up. Talking about if you want more detials to click there. Click on that and use the show original. You will see the source code for the original. Just look thru the code to find the From and the IP Address.

from gmail it actually does not refer to ip but to sent by : 0.0.0.0 etc. so you can't find the ip by typing "ip" at find but by typing "By"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom