Is it possible to open folders on XP using another username?(folder permissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi,
Is it possible to open a folder on xp using another username???

(just as you would open a file by using the Run As command)

I am askign because...I am an Admin on my pc...but my sisters account is a limited one...

Now I have limited access to some of my files and folders using File Permission...some can't be accessed at all...and some can only be read...

Is there any way I can open or access these foldes when I am logged in as her, without the need to log out and then log in as mysefl????

Thanx in advance...

Unless you give her permission then No, thats the whole point. Atleast so far as I know.

thanx for your reply...

Ya, I know that's the whole point...but me, as an administrator, have the right to access the folders....what I meant was what if she was logged in and I had to give her a file or something...instead of logging out and in as myself, isn't there any way I can enter my username and pass and temperoraly access the files?? (just as you would do a Runs As command on a file, but that doesn't work on folders!)

Thanx again...

Is it the runas command you're looking for? i'm not sure.

Edit: oh yeah, you said that... I don't know then.

Can't you use runas to launch explorer with your admin account? or won't that work?

Runas will work. There are two ways to do this.

1. Right click on Internet Explorer, click on runas. Enter in your administrator credentials. When IE launches, type in my computer in the address bar, and whamo you have a Windows explorer box with your credentials.

2. Open up a command prompt and type this:
Code:
runas.exe /env /user:username "start c:\path to folder\"
Replace username with your administrator account name and replace path to folder with the path to the folder you want to open.
When it prompts enter your administrator account password and you'll be set.

Thanks alot!!!

That's exactly what I was looking for!! :)

(Though the second method didnt work!! its giving me 87: The parameter is incorrect!!

than again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom