Possible Memory Leak - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation Possible Memory Leak

For some time now, my computer have exhibited some strange symptoms. After running for some time w/out a reboot (3/4 a day to a day) it begins to run incredibly slow and programs will take ages (if ever) to load. Some times it doesn't even have to run long at all, within just starting it up it'll begin to slow down. It seems that if I try to multi-task, it starts up these problems. I've had the computer for over 2 years now and never reformatted and am thinking that it might fix the problem but I'm not sure and that is why I came here.
2.21g AMD processor
Windows XP
2gig ram
256 Geforce 6600
Asus A8G5NX Mobo

Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Default Re: Possible Memory Leak

well reformatting may just do the trick,but thats not the same thing as a memory leak. What i would do if i were you would be to defragment your hard drive and to run CCleaner to clean the registry. that will probably fix most of your issues.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Agreed with zmatt. Especially when you've never reformatted your computer before. During those two years without a reformat, will build up a lot junk, that will slow down a computer.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Any idea where I can find a registry cleaner that I wouldn't have to pay for? I'm a poor college student -.-.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Thumbs up Re: Possible Memory Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke0987 View Post
Any idea where I can find a registry cleaner that I wouldn't have to pay for? I'm a poor college student -.-.
Help yourself! :>)

Index of /apps
Old 09-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright, well I did the suggest things and it helped a little bit but I decided that I wanted to reformat anyway but I had a problem.
When I went to reformat my computer, I put my reformat disk in while my computer was running and it started to go through the steps but once I got to where I must create a new partition or select an old one, it would not let me delete my old partition because there were "files in the Windows Temp folder which were required for Windows Reformat" or something to that extent. From there, I couldn't figure out what to do so I stopped but now when ever I start up my computer, it will try to go into the Windows Setup menu.
Help =(
Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

boot from the cd and install xp from there.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've tried that but when I get to the step where I need to delete my old partition and create a new one it tells me that I cannot delete this partition because there are files in the Temp folder required for reformating.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke0987 View Post
I've tried that but when I get to the step where I need to delete my old partition and create a new one it tells me that I cannot delete this partition because there are files in the Temp folder required for reformating.
that's because you are installing from within windows.

to make it simpler, delete your hdd with powermax then head here

Windows XP Home install from CD
Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
that's because you are installing from within windows.

to make it simpler, delete your hdd with powermax then head here

Windows XP Home install from CD
I've been trying to delete my hdd w/powermax but all that it is trying to do is clear a 1.44mb diskette.

Closed Thread