Porting a Windows Media Library file (.WMDB) from WMP10 to WMP11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Since I just replaced my computer, I need to move all of my data over... unfortunately, while I can move my files to the new system, the new XP Pro system came with Windows Mediaplayer 11, and is "not compatible" with WMP10 (or at least that's the reason it gives me for refusing to let me install 10).

It also seems that WMP 11 is not compatible with the WMP10 media library files. It ignores "CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb" (WMP 10 library), even when I delete "CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb" (WMP 11). It also ignores it when I change its filename to match the new one.

Is there a way I can convert my WMP10 music library to WMP11 format? It would be really nice if I didn't have to manually re-label and re-sort all of my 3500 music tracks.

All you should have to do is have WMP11 search your system for music files. IT should then find and use the ones you currently have. I have my music on a seperate hard drive and after several installs i have had no issue with WMP11 in XP or Vista finding and using the files easily.

Yea, only it'll find the files, but not the library data to go with them. i.e., I'll have 3500 mp3 files, but no ratings, artist names, tags, etc. to go with them and by which to build my autoplaylists. Which means in order to use my autoplaylists again, I'll need to manually go through and re-label and re-sort all of my music tracks in WMP11.

For the record, I had to do that once before in WMP10 because my computer crashed and that data was lost. I only had half as many tracks back then, but it still took over 20 hours to do.

just copy the music over. it will pick it back up. if anything wmp 11 will have more info. just use the "search internet for missing media" option, when you reload them. I've done this a million times myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom