portable apps for memory pen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default portable apps for memory pen

i dont know if i ahve posted this a while ago but PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives | Your Digital Life, Anywhereâ„¢ gives u free apps for ur memory pen like firefox portible for the people hu dnt like or not familair with ie. there is vlc for watch them videos which dont open with windows media player whihc is often and a oddice suit like micro office (very useful) and more cool apps...... check it out .....

you can also put MAC on them lol dont know why u would lol

Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: portable apps for memory pen

I don't see the benefit of doing this? surely you can just manually install the programs like that on the pen drive your self through the traditional installers. My external is a complete suite of my favourite programs e.g.

firefox
vlc
itunes
speedfan
O&O defrag
dvd decryptor
auto gordian knot
thunderbird

which I installed through the traditional way and just changed the file directory onto the external which is easy as clicking 3 times

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

yea but beginners wont know how to do tht
Old 07-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

and the non-portable apps have certain dependencies on the hard drive and registry, like in one of its configuration files it might reference C:\, but on another computer the HDD might be D: , or it might make registry keys on installation and when it is in another computer it can't find them.

the portable apps are self-contained.
"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 07-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Patron

but I have never had that issue with my external and I have used it on various computers and laptops. all those programs always work for me and all temp file directories are placed on the external as it beliees that it is the program file. you can copy and paste that file over onto the desktop of a new computer and have the program self contained as is. most games are the same aswell you can copy and paste most games and find they still work with no cd cracks on a new machine