POOR Gaming Performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delboy :)

Baseband Member
Hello peeps,

Latley I have been experiencing very poor graphics and gaming performance and I really havent a clue what it is. I have just formatted my hard drive and installed XP Home.

My drive isnt fragged and i havent got any spyware or junk anywhere, no suspicious background processes. Its fresh.

I have also increased my paging file size:

Intial Size: 576mb
Max Size: 576mb

Is this going to boost performace in any way? What effect does this paging file do ... ?! I read that it acted as virtual RAM ... ?

Here are my specs :

Intel Celeron 4A 2.8GHz
64Mb ATi 7000 IGP
192Mb DDR SDRAM
NTFS 40Gb uncompressed hard drive

What could I do to improve gaming performance?

I am aiming to get to boost my RAM up to a Gig, would that help?

Cheers, Delboy

Any replies are more than grateful :D

well the Graphics card is part of the problem, but only having 192MB of ram is the real problem. XP uses 128 just to run, on most systems, and running games these days reccomend like 256 min. I would say get more memory and see how that helps. The video card would be next in line though. The Virtual memory is not going to be your problem for the moment. Your real memory will be...

good luck

What do you expect as far as gaming performance with a Celeron processor and an ATI Radeon 7000 Integrated? With a setup like that, upgrading to 1GB would be pretty much useless. What games are you wanting to play?

Like, I have trouble running SOF2!

Whats wrong with a celeron? I kno they dont process that quick, but I heard that my 2.8ghz celeron is the the equivelent to a 2.4ghz P4.

Thanks for your replies tho guys!

Oh also, what graphics card shud I get?

Oh and by the way i didnt mention before that Im using a laptop, is that part of the problem?

Yeah, im lookin at some new desktops. There alot cheaper.
What do you reckon, a P4 or AMD Athlon Processor?

AMD is superior for gaming. You are far better off though having your PC custom built than buying from places like Dell/HP/Compaq.

yes, but it's limited. You have to find our first if the Processor is integrated or not, then what options for upgrading there are. Most of these are based on the socket and the chipset the machine are built on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom