PnP not working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry PLEASE HELP!!! PnP not working

I need some help. Now I'm not a computer wiz, actually i don't know all the technical stuff. I had a friend build my computer and it was working just fine. I am having problems with my slots for plug n play. I had a wireless ethernet card in there and another ethernet card in there, everything was working just fine until i bought a 2 port ieee 1394 firewire pci card. I plugged it into a slot and booted up windows. Windows recognized that there was new hardware but it wasn't sure what it was it had a yellow question mark and said it was an ethernet controller. I tried looking for the driver from the manufacturer's website but they said that the driver comes native to windows xp. Now my wireless card and ethernet card don't work, i tried moving them into different slots and xp recognizes there is new hardware but says it is an ethernet controller and that is it. My friend said that maybe the firewire card changed the values or parameters for the slots, i have no idea. Does anybody have any ideas?

Old 12-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you have tried installing windows built in drivers havent you?

Old 12-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

You will need the complete dump of Windows drivers. You must have them on the CD. If its pirated, look for the driver from places other than the maufacturer, like other sites or friends.
Somewhere I Belong...
Old 12-07-2004, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Put all your cards in the computer go to hardware manager and remove the drivers for all the diveces your having a problem with just right click on the eithernet cards and click remove or delete.Reboot your computer and have the eithernet drivers disk ready then let windows do the install for you.Ive been able to fix alot of problems that way.
Closed Thread