Plug N Play Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
My USB drive has long been a sore point, as it sometimes "saw" my USB drive and sometimes didn't. However, for the past year or so, it has been working fine. Until I got another USB drive, this time, a "MusicDisk" without a brand (after some research I found that it looked exactly like the EgoMan MD-100) that I got as a prize. The MusicDisk did come with a shoddy one-page user manual, that said that it was Plug N Play compliant for Windows ME/2K/XP, and thus it provided drivers only for Windows 98.

No matter how hard I tried on my Windows 2000 Professional, the drive would not show up. I've gone through Add/Remove Hardware and Device Manager's search for Plug N Play compliant hardware, and I even tried installing the 98 drivers, all to no avail. Is this a faulty device (it doesn't look like it; the lights on the MusicDisk seem to be indicating that it's idle) or is it because of my computer? Is there any way to find or test the Plug N Play system files? Or is it possibly that the device uses a different USB standard? (I checked, and the device says "USB Ver 1.1 Mass Storage, and my computer is USB 1.0, but I thought there was virtually no difference between the two?)

If any of you have had a similar experience but managed to fix it, please tell me what you did! Thanks

Have you tried plugging it in to a different machine? I checked and there is not a difference between the USB 1.1 and 1.0 host controllers.

Edit: Does the player have a cable or does it have the USB dongle attached?

No I have not yet tried it on a different machine (I only have one at home; I'll try that as soon as possbile).

Also, it is just like a normal USB stick, where the whole thing is all integrated into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom