PLS HELP!Hard drive would not reformat! (win xp pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivi

Beta member
PLEASE HELP! found this website from a kind person at microsoft community newsgroups but nobody has answered my distressed plea.

Attempted to install a SCSI card. The manufacturer said it is Win XP compatible - APPARENTLY
NOT!

Computer refuse to boot up, would stall at the first 30 seconds.

Removed hardware, managed to get into 'safe mode' then uninstalled the hardware, still would not boot up properly on windows.

Next I tried, can't even get into 'safe mode' anymore.... stalls just 13 seconds after restarting.

Tried everything with 'Recovery Disc' (Repair, Fresh etc...) would stall while running Wins (about after 15 secs), tried reformatting (drastic i know, but i am desperate!) everything went ok but stalled during setup just as it was about 55% done installing the devices!

I am stuck and not knowing what to do anymore! please help!

someone kind online suggested the below:-

"If your just trying to get XP installed on your HD again without using the SCSI card, use a 98SE bootdisk & fdisk the drive (wipe it clean) then try installing XP again, formatting doesn't wipe the drive clean which is likely what's needed for XP to install again."

i did what was suggested, everything went fine but still won't go pass the 'installing devices' stage during Win XP installation... PLEASE HELP!

could it be a faulty hard drive? or perhaps bad clusters?

i am clueless and am totally exasperated!

anyone out there with answers for me?

many thanks!

Do u have any other devices installed, like some NIC or modem? Just remove everthing, strap it down to the basic, then try reinstalling windows.

I agree with maverick .. ..Remove other pci cards.. I've seen this happen so many times 'b'coz of a fauly modem

thanks for the replies

currently just removed the printer from the computer

if this do not work will remove the network card

the network card came along preinstalled with the computer but will take both your heeds...

any more ideas or suggestions? i am willing to try anything to get this pc working again :)

many thanks

Is the computer a branded like HP or Dell.
Are u using the correct recovery cds that rare specific for this model.
Could u provide the configuration of the computer.
Secondly did u ever change the hard drive on this computer?

well, the setup/installation failed once again, next i shall remove the network card and try again...

what do you mean by configuration, maverick_teck? you meant the specs?

it's a customized computer assembled by a local company called 'systemax' running Win XP Pro, P4, 512 Mb RAM, 120GB HD
need anymore information?

I am indeed using the 'Systemac Recovery Disc', other discs (another copy of Win XP) wouldn't work because i tried :)

many thanks... i'll keep trying

WOOOO HOOOOO!!

hey guys!!!

i can't believe it!! after 72 hours!! the ordeal is finally over!! it was probably the network card what was hindering the installation!! (just out of curiousity, why would that pose as a problem?)

and i was not asked to input on the product code or administrator password. why? could it be because i was already on win xp pro?

thanks guys! :)

p/s/: you could still answer my questions above won't you?

MANY THANKS!!!

Yes, u dont need to enter Product Key for windows xp when u r installing from recovery cds of branded machines.
Try installing ur network card now. Is it working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom